1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to list very rare item?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by QuelleSurpriseVtg, Aug 7, 2021.

1. QuelleSurpriseVtg

QuelleSurpriseVtg VFG Member

I have this vintage Escada blouse that I want to get listed but I don't know where. I've been selling on eBay for a long time and recently started selling on Etsy. I've only made one sale on Etsy so I'm not sure anyone would pay a lot for something there. I'd be afraid of scammers on eBay. So where is the best place to list something like this?

IMG_8805_clipped.jpeg

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Try Vinted

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Not sure what you mean by scammers on Ebay? Just curious as I have not had that experience there with buyers. Did you mean non payers? We have all had those!

While I would not refer to this as rare, as Escada made a good number of these that are still around, it is a great looking item and of course...its Marilyn!

Can you show the label?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I agree Barbara, it would be sellers not buyers more likely to be scammers.

I did get caught out once on eBay, pay day loan scam, wandered straight in to it, although I did get my money back eventually.

As eBay don't use PayPal as such any longer, they take payment almost straight away, eBay in that respect have got a little better.

So I shouldn't think the OP would have to much issue listing it on eBay although it's expensive to do so imo.

I know little about the label but item does look great.

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

I agree with Barbara, even though Escada is a great brand, I wouldn't consider the top as rare. I also agree that ebay may be the best way to offer it, as there are some occasional great prices realized there (personally, i hate ebay, but have friends who have done ok there).

if you are able to date it to 1990s or before, you may want to try the OLL (Ooh La La!) group on facebook. Here's a link to their announcement/rules page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/605944916086419/

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I see a lot of Escada in the second hand shops around here - they've made some great stuff over the years, absolutely - but yes, not rare.

I am guessing this is silk? It's a super cool print, and I think no matter if you list it on Ebay or Etsy, this will find a happy buyer.

7. I frequent my local thrift shops about twice per week and hardly a month goes by that I don't see a piece of Escada. I've actually stopped buying it for resale. That said, it's most often plain stuff that I see... I would have definitely picked up a Marilyn Monroe blouse!
    A quick google shows several sales of this same blouse with listed prices in the $200-$500 US range... not such an astronomical amount that I'd particularly worry about eBay "scammers". And I actually don't really worry about eBay scammers at all, I consider the seller/payment protections good, though others may disagree. I'd probably list it on both eBay and Etsy.

8. QuelleSurpriseVtg

I saw one sold on 1stdibs for $895 and one listed somewhere else at $1495 (don't know if it sold). I saw some for less too. I'm just not sure how to price it either, but I know you guys don't do that. I think it's 1980s by the label. It looks and feels like silk crepe. The content label is so faded you can't read anything on it. The bottom button is missing so I'm sure that devalues it some. I find tons of Escada here but this is the coolest one I've found. Most here is Old Lady Escada and I just leave that.

By scammers I mean someone who buys, wants to return, then returns an empty box or something else. I've never had that happen but the most expensive clothing item I've sold was for $450.

Thanks for the insights, I appreciate it!
    IMG_8806.JPG

TAMARA LYNN MYERS likes this.
  9. Does it have big shoulder pads? An '80s would have them, an early '90s would have smaller or no pads. The reason I ask is because there were a lot of MOP buttons in the early '90s.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  10. I too wouldnt consider it rare. And 1st dibs is always overpriced, and who knows it it actually sells at that price. I did a google search and there were quite a few shown and sold.

11. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I would describe this as collectible rather than rare. This is certainly a collectible piece though, Escada bright silk prints in general do very well and this Marylyn piece is a winner . I do have an eBay store and think it would be well placed on eBay.
    I have actually been scammed on eBay (hand painted By Karl Lagerfeld limited edition Chanel sweater, yep… that hurt a lot). However it is certainly rare for this to happen. I would ensure a lot of communication with a buyer prior to sending it, do a little research on them check their feedback, if something didn’t feel right don’t go through with the sale. I am much more careful now with high value items. It’s gorgeous, best of luck!

12. QuelleSurpriseVtg

It has shoulder pads but not the huge ones. I was just going by the label resource here to date it.

13. QuelleSurpriseVtg

Oooooh, ouch!!

14. We actually don't have that label in the LR. You might be thinking of the gold on white label that we have as an '80s but it's more helpful to look at the label that has the same wording and font, and that's '90s even though it's gold on black. Fashion houses often change the colours of their labels, usually to denote different levels of quality or range, so the wording and fonts are a better gauge for dating.

15. vintage_59

vintage_59 Registered Guest

A google search "Flipper tools reveal prices" found websites tools that reveal prices that items sold for on various selling sites including Etsy and Rubylane. There may be one that reveals what best offer was accepted at Ebay.

Regarding being scammed, I have heard you can buy a service with a mail carrier (can't remember which one) where the carrier requires the buyer to show ID and sign for package.

16. QuelleSurpriseVtg

Thank you for that Etsy tool, very helpful!

17. TAMARA LYNN MYERS

TAMARA LYNN MYERS Registered Guest

What MOP button?

18. They look like mother of pearl buttons but they could be plastic.

19. QuelleSurpriseVtg

They have a pearlescent look but they are plastic.