1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to ditch Etsy and start your own vintage fashion website.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by NylonNostalgia, Aug 16, 2021.

1. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Ooohhh, fab! Thank you(goes off for a break time read!)

3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Wow! What a great blog post, this is something I am imminently considering so this was just perfect. I do have a question. I have been offered a student built website for free (Targeted on insta) I will have to pay their webhost partner fee's and obvs the domain name fee. I really want the video capabilities and to build up a brand which I struggle to do on my ebay store.

The question I have is this, their webhosting partner is getspace wordpress (which you recommend in your blog :)) which through a direct links looks to be incredible value for money. The student made website will be approx 10X this fee although they stated it was free because it is their students doing it for their training course. So not knowing a great deal about how webhosting works i'm unsure if I should take the offer (which obviously does include fees) or to go it alone..... what do you think?

NylonNostalgia likes this.
  4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

thanks for excellent inspiration, Emma! shared on our business facebook page now, too! :clapping:

5. NylonNostalgia

I'm not casting any aspersions on your student friend at all, but suffice it to say I do know somebody who paid £4000 for a website that actually cost £200 and the client could easily have done it themselves.

Personally, I'd do it yourself. People like Tsohost (mentioned in the blog post) have excellent support on hand anyway. Wordpress is modular and 1-click these days anyway :)

poppysvintageclothing and GemGem like this.
  6. NylonNostalgia

Is that our usual FB page, or a different one? I lose track! :)

GemGem likes this.
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thank you so much. I think I will give it a go myself, taking my time and getting to understand the components. Your wisdom is much appreciated!

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

it's my Vintage Merchant facebook page, not a VFG page. :)

9. NylonNostalgia

Ah! On to it now! :)

The Vintage Merchant likes this.