1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric Friday: The origin and characteristics of silk

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Workshops - specialty vintage topics' started by denisebrain, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I went to Uzbekistan some years ago, and bought fantastic hand-woven silk (at something like 7 Dollars a meter!). The Uzbek ikat silk is fantastic in it's colours and patterns (and fascinating to see how these patterns are produced - takes some planning to dye the silk the right way!). Very vibrant! We went to a small family-run place in the Ferghana Valley where they showed us how the whole production.

denisebrain and Vintagiality like this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks, Maggie, will revise the description on the robe.

Any idea on that yellow dress I also posted?

It has that slight roughness to it when you pass your hand along it, like it is catching the fibres somewhat.

denisebrain likes this.
  3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Oh yes, your dress is silk noil MJ. It can be dyed and/or printed.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  4. poppysvintageclothing

Thanks again, Maggie, our fabric guru!bow down wave

denisebrain likes this.
  5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Oh no! I have not one but three dresses where I use “raw silk”. I should really add the proper fabric description though I think it is still a good keyword in terms of what people search for.
    Here are my three. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Vintagiality?search_query=Raw+silk
    W
    ould love some help to identify the proper fabric name

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  6. denisebrain

Died = dyed :duh2: (don't type when you just wake up)

Victoria, your first dress is shantung, but I question that it is silk. It looks more like rayon shantung (made to look like silk). I may be wrong. The second is silk shantung for sure. The third looks like a heavier fabric, correct?

7. Vintagiality

You may be right. It definitely looks like silk but could be rayon. Or maybe some blend?
    Yes. Much heavier/ thicker

8. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Several years ago we went to Cambodia. My reward was to visit a silk farm.
    The silk industry is sponsored by the govt. and trains people to work in the industry so they maintain the heritage of silk production and provides jobs.
    I post the rest of the photos in second post.
    The 4th photo is first-tiny silkworms are placed on paper-lined trays
    0555-close of young silkworms
    0561-silkworms in special trays with dividers
    0561-close up of silkworms making cocoons
    last silkworms on try to make cocoons

Attached Files:

9. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

0569 silk filament fromdegummed silkworms are being reeled into hanks by hand
    0585 Silk thread is wound from hanks to large bobbins for the warp
    0612 Quills filled with silk for the weft. The quills are placed in shuttles for weaving.
    This traditional “Hôl Lboeuk” design on the loom is a traditional Cambodian ikat design. These were the most expensive scarves and usually framed and used for pictures.

Attached Files:

10. Vintagiality

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing.

11. denisebrain

Claire, that was quite an experience, I'm sure! I'm amazed at the intricate hand weaving.

Sounds like a job for the good ol' burn test. At least you would have a distinct difference between silk and rayon from that.

Your heavier green fabric has the luminous look (and weight) of alaskine, but not exactly the texture. This is from an alaskine evening coat I sold:

greenalaskineoutfit6.jpg
    and from a greater distance
    alaskine5.jpg.jpg

You can see there is a bit of texture, but not slubbing. The fabric is made with wool as the weft and silk as the warp. I wonder if those slubs were introduced in the wool, or doupioni silk was added to the weft?

What do others think of Victoria's dress's fabric?

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.39.47 PM.png

12. Vintagiality

I took me forever to take a decent photo but here they are. What my mother had told me is that to recognize what she referred to as raw silk you had to be able to see those grey and brown spots that are part of the fabric and not stains as well as its distinct color which is off white/ yellowish, kind of like linen (a bit more yellowish than the photo).
    2AD6D660-A906-4C35-BA94-5C423910F942.jpeg 42B3D76E-84FF-40D2-BFCD-3C65DA18DE9D.png C366E57D-E3BF-4823-9117-016626AF8C83.png

13. denisebrain

Interesting! I am pretty sure this is wild silk. I just found this page listing and showing many of the wild silks: https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/mcguire/collection/wild-silks/ of which Tussah is the most often seen. I am surprised at the variety of weights and textures of these fabrics.

The silk worm (Bombyx mori) produces a filament that is naturally white.

14. poppysvintageclothing

Thanks, Claire, for sharing those photos...so amazing!

15. Vintagiality

Very interesting! Thanks Maggie. Yes I do think that what I have is most likely tussah silk so wild silk. Though this sentence caught my attention:
    “Wild silk is not nearly as luxurious as domestic silk found in today’s clothing industry. This is raw, rough, and textured silk which feels almost paper-like to the human touch.”
    1. They do refer to it as raw
    2. The one I have definitely is soft and does not feel like paper at all. It’s extremely lightweight and definitely has some texture but I wouldn’t call it rough

I managed to take a better photo of the color.
    D9900056-AD2B-4BAB-AA65-281152FC32EF.png

16. denisebrain

I think raw, rough and textured is somewhat accurate, but not that it feels like paper—at least I don't think so. The wild silks I've handled were sort of like linen in feel.

Vintagiality likes this.
  17. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I am glad that the subject of touching, feeling the fabric has come up. To me silk has a distinctive dry feeling and sometimes almost catches on my garden hands. Cotton also feels dry to me, but in a different way. That is not the only way to identify fabric and weave, but it is helpful to me to narrow it down. I'd like to hear what others find-feel.
    Marian

18. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I can almost always tell silk and wool by feel, but I can't explain how!

19. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I knew there had been several attempts to establish a silk industry in the United States, but I had never heard of Paterson , NJ. This is part of a blurb about an Amazon Kindle book:

"At the dawn of the 20th century, the social unrest in Paterson, New Jersey was palpable. Thousands of Dutch and Italian immigrants flocked to the city, hoping for a job in Paterson’s famous silk mills."
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VQ8VGLF?ref=em_1p_1_im&ref_=pe_3730140_603087690

Marian

20. poppysvintageclothing

There is that tricky polyester fabric they came up with, which is so silky in feel, not like regular polyester at all. I have seen this polyester used mainly in scarves and blouses.

denisebrain and Vinclothes like this.