1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70s? Or earlier?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi all

Had the good fortune to pick up this lovely dress with ‘california’ label. I’m assuming it’s 70s based on label and plastic zip, but would appreciate any thoughts on whether it might be earlier? The only reason I wonder is because the original owner would have been in her 50s in the 70s, and the style doesn’t seem quite right for the 70s.

The fabric is quite unusual in that is has an almost quilted texture with a beautiful honeycomb pattern in addition to the print.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Jane

PS Apologies for the over the top poses but it helps to show the fullness of the skirt! CF97D0C1-AD96-42B8-83A7-DD3B0E56356A.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks like a cotton matelasse. I think it might be late 60s, or c. 1970 on the nose. I would have thought later, but for that fabric. If it was later 70s I would expect nylon jersey...

Impey likes this.
  4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I thought late 60s as well

Impey likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Late 60's fit & flare, IMHO :)

Impey likes this.
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Just wanted to say... it is gorgeous!

Impey likes this.
  8. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thank you!

9. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thank you!

10. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks!

11. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thank you - I think it’s gorgeous too! I’m tempted to hold onto it!

12. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thank you Jonathan - I’m off to look up cotton matelasse now! Ahhh now I’ve looked you are entirely right - thank you!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  13. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

no symbols on the UK care label also suggests earlier than 70s to me. Fabulous dress. And is that you modelling? You are fabulous too!

GemGem and Impey like this.
  14. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks so much! Yes it is me - I used to hate taking photos of me, but once you realise it’s all about angles it’s fine!

GemGem and Retro Ruth like this.
  15. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Gosh a lovely dress, 60s or early 70s, early 70s I think and I see no reason why a 50 year old in either era might not have worn that dress.

Lovely find.

16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I initially thought 70s because I have an early 70s Burda magazine showing similar style dresses, but it could be a little earlier. Anyway, they called them summer evening dresses - I think that sums it up!

GemGem likes this.