1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any help me age this vintage Ted Lapidus Paris coat please?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Alexandria, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Alexandria

Alexandria Registered Guest

I have this beautiful burnt orange coat with black fur trim with gold buttons . I brought this coat about two years ago now , I was just wondering if anyone has any information about the date of it .
    Many thanks .
    Photos down below

Attached Files:

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Lovely and a great buy.

Lapidus is well documented, Your coat is a nod to the classic Navy Trench Coat design, his love of the sea, the Fleur de Lee buttons and anchor he kind of made his own but borrowed from navy coat buttons and badges.

The fur trim imo is a throw back to his Russian pedigree.

Date, I think mid 70s or 2 -3 years either side although the dry cleaning label suggests later.

I was outbid on a purple/lilac trench coat of his, very similar.

Nice buy, nice coat.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would say early 70s, nice coat, great color too!

4. Alexandria

Thank you to all , going on a hunt to find a picture of it online

GemGem likes this.
  5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

We have Ted Lapidus in our label resource which has a bit of info on him. However, we don’t have the exact label.

6. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

What a great coat! I'm especially enamored of the pocket detail!

What nags at me about the 1970s dating is that I've never seen a black label in early Lapidus garments, nor one as narrow in a coat, and the font used for wool in the Woolmark label seems more contemporary. That same label came up recently and I meant to put it on my list to research...

Mind you, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Vintagiality likes this.
  7. Vintagiality

That was bothering me as well. I had not seen this version before

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I was just going to say that that wool label looked similar to the one in the other thread from a few days ago...

Just my few cents... there was also a trend for fur-trimmed coats etc. inspired by the film Doctor Zhivago in the later 60s... that's what first came to my mind when I saw this.

GemGem likes this.
  9. Vintagiality

I did find a 1964 ad with the distinct font of wool like in this example so I would also agree with 70s
    07C823A3-EB5E-4ABB-87AA-0122DB85ED93.jpeg

GemGem and Ranch Queen Vintage like this.
  10. Alexandria

Thank you for all your replies

11. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The cut definitely looks 70’s to me. And the lapels too. Possibly early 70’s