1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this dress feature used for?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by EmmaAlsop, Oct 11, 2021.

1. EmmaAlsop

EmmaAlsop Registered Guest

Hi friends, I bought this black evening gown (late 1930s, early 1940s I think) which has a faux wrap front. The wrap piece that would be hidden from view has a gap with two hook and eye fastenings. It doesn't look like a mend or damage and appears to be an original part of the dress. I could be wrong on this. Anyway, has anyone else seen this feature before or know what it's purpose it. Cheers! 244208221_197047402433058_6339606467361452011_n.jpg 244657833_157122826622918_7023163177353932181_n.jpg

2. Hi Emma, I haven't seen this feature before but if you undo the fastening and sit it open, fold it outwards, it could be a notched lapel? Or perhaps a slot for a scarf or feature?

BTW your faux wrap bodice is a style called a 'surplice bodice' and the dress appears to be late '40s to me. I love these styles, they're very flattering.

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

When the dress is worn, is this covered by the overlap?
    The dress is very interesting. Most dresses lap right over lap and it laps left over right.
    Back to the hooks and eyes-- when you un hook them, what do you have? Does it make a small pocket? If so, what size? Where is it located between the shoulder and seam on the yoke? Is it in line with the bust? higher? lower?

4. EmmaAlsop

EmmaAlsop Registered Guest

Thanks Nicole! I was thinking that it would hold something, it's just a strange position. I also thought maybe it kept the bodice in place but doesn't seem to do that either. The dress certainly has a lovely cut. I was thinking it was more modern, late 40s, because of the zip/ style ect. The label name/ style and fabric made me think it was a tad older - "Cathex Model". But I'm no expert by any means. Thanks again for your help.

5. I think it would help us to understand its function if we could see its placement when worn. Could you photograph on a model or dummy perhaps?

MagsRags likes this.