1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help identifying vintage alligator bag.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Carolinamomma, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Carolinamomma

Carolinamomma Registered Guest

66975918-2025-4E5B-97A6-4A58FB462CBD.jpeg
    Picked up this little beauty in town today. Simply labeled “vintage 1960’s alligator.”
    Any ideas on who the designer or maker is?
    Thank you in advance
    79B36C56-7B03-4EA8-99FA-CAC270C72A2C.jpeg A79C02AE-B500-449D-BA92-FEF9E0BB1FEF.jpeg

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I love that golden chariot! Maybe this is one that Wendy @Vintagepursegal could help with.

Carolinamomma likes this.
  3. Carolinamomma

IKR. It screamed at me to take it home and tie on one of my grandmother’s Hermes scarfs on it.

denisebrain likes this.
  4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Screams Rome 60s to me, a photo of the lining might be useful.

5. Carolinamomma

Basic brown leather lining. Exceedly good shape. B95A6A64-4BA8-41C6-9A13-C26EAC37BDFE.jpeg B91CE8CE-D1BF-460D-B027-AAD167ED296B.jpeg

Zipper says: LAMPO

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  6. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

7. Carolinamomma

BIB?? Not familiar with that acronym

It has a 1940’s vibe for me. It’s in amazing condition. But the whole bag is curious. I can’t seem to find a similar one searching the net.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  8. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Sorry, my reply didn't send the way I intended.

BIB means " Bit in Bold".

When you highlight a word, sentence, paragraph.

I'm sure you know but Lampo zips are faked to give an air of authenticity.

As I recall Lampo started in around 1938 and over the years their zips have been used in many high-high end brands/goods.

Bur also on lots of counterfeit goods.

Your handbag doesn't have this issue, I suspect it is not a high end brand although copying one, none the less, it appears well made and in good condition.

If the experts here said it was definitely 40s, I would not be surprised but I think it a vintage 60s, well made item but there is a lot of these skinned handbags about.

9. Vintagepursegal

Vintagepursegal VFG Member

I've seen Roman gold coin embellishments on bags including some by Rosenfeld, but never anything quite like yours. In 1954 there was a Kirk Douglas movie called Ulysses, and even though I haven't seen it and couldn't find a still photo of a chariot scene, there was an Achilles character--and we all know what happened to him! I found this newspaper ad for Swank jewelry from 1954, which might correspond with the bag's motif and pinpoint the era. This was also the time frame (1951-1955 or thereabouts) for "heraldic" motif jewelry, belts, purses and shoes, which were decorated with coats of arms and similar emblems. I believe many of these types of trends mirrored the popular films of the day.

Attached Files:

10. Carolinamomma

Thanks so much for your input! It’s a little gem, and I’m pleased with it. The LAMPO( BOLD basic, not the more script/cursive you see now) zipper and medallion must be original because the interior is in pristine shape with no sign of manipulation. Did American bags use LAMPO in the 50s? the bag is definitely old.

I’ve had someone mention on other forum, that for the 1960 Olympics in Rome, some Italian craftsmen made purses like this, but they had never seen the medallion either. Perhaps its from on one man shop.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  11. Vintagepursegal

I wish I knew more about handbag hardware. I don't know if Lampo zippers were used on American bags, but from what I've read--as I'm sure you have--they're only on good quality merchandise. So it's highly probable that your bag is Italian-made. As far as that chariot motif--I agree that it could've been a created to commemorate the Rome Olympics. I have a mesh bag with a 1936 Olympics-design gate top.

12. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Nice call, could it have been " Ben Hur?

13. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

But if to emphasize/celebrate 1960s Olympics, don't you think the Olympic circles would have been included? --I don't know--just a thought.

14. Vintagepursegal

Yes! Ben-Hur occurred to me, too, but there was the thought that the bag was 1940s-1950s and the movie was 1959. But check out this ad I found from 1965! Not the same bag, but the name., plus it was made in Italy...

Attached Files:

Midge, Carolinamomma and denisebrain like this.