1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martha Weathered coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Rebecca Jahn, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Rebecca Jahn

Rebecca Jahn Registered Guest

Hello
    I bought this coat to use for a Halloween costume but after looking at it something told me to dig a little deeper. I think that this dates to the 1920's or 30's and I can only find 2 other dresses from that time frame that the tags are in gold. Other items I've found have a black label with totally different script. Those seem to be in the 1950's and later time frame. I'm really curious thoughts on time frame. I will try and get better pics in the morning to add. I was too excited to sleep this coat is black velvet and hangs between knee and ankle. Inside is silk and collar is fur that is soft. Fur is in great condition. some of the seems are loose and under arms are in ruff shape but otherwise a gorgeous heavy quality coat. Any info someone might add would be great. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Hmmm, on the label, under " Martha Weathered " there is more script, what does it say?

Back of collar to hem, how long is it?

Another closer photo/s of any buttons might be helpful.

Might be rough but any chance of photos of under arms?

Your photos were fine btw.

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Just did a bit of brief research.

This lady was born in 1898, died in 1941, came from a family of dress makers, based in Chicago, opened a couple of boutiques. Before setting up on her own in the early 20s she worked for other known retailers.

The company was around until the 70s, then closed. I found a reference to a fire that destroyed her shop. It is possible some time in the early 50s her family changed label design so your coat would be an earliest one, late 20s, into 30s.

She made for other designers to.

4. Rebecca Jahn

Attached Files:

Vintagiality likes this.
  5. Rebecca Jahn

Thank you so much! That is more info than I could find about her.

6. Rebecca Jahn

I put up some more photos. Thank you for your time!

7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Yes, thanks for that, within 1/2 hour of writing post I realized other word was " Chicago ".

Not much more to add, she was respected for her work, put together other designers pieces and trusted not to say anything.

Your coat, the back of it says more 1920s to me, the front 30s but I think very late 20s imo.

I took a look at the woman's wear she produced for herself or others and been drooling all day, she was of her day and all the fashion influences that involved.

She is documented but info" available is a bit messy but didn't spend a lot of time searching.

Yeah" that it. :)

8. Rebecca Jahn

Thank you so very much! I appreciate that you took anytime to look it up. It's really neat to hold something so old. You can just feel the quality.

9. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

@Rebecca Jahn it’s a lovely coat. Would you give us permission to use the image of the label for our label resource?

Thank you

Rebecca Jahn likes this.
  10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Nice find!

Rebecca Jahn likes this.
  11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

12. Rebecca Jahn

Absolutely!

Vintagiality likes this.
  13. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

I know it looks it but is it?

Or a winter coat worn for those famous Chicago windy days.

14. Rebecca Jahn

It is very warm. But I personally have no idea

15. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Yes I would have thou
    Yes it looks heavy and warm.

I have a number of, Male & Female cloaks and coats and a couple that look very similar to yours and they are opera coats.

I don't know why but there is a look in your coat that suggest winter, not opera but anything goes and wearing to and from a night out must have looked great.

Rebecca Jahn likes this.
  16. Yes, it is an evening coat. I have several of these. Of course, it be worn any way ones wants to wear it. If out shopping too :)

Midge likes this.
  17. CreedVintage

CreedVintage Registered Guest

Your coat is absolutely stunning! The quality and design seem to align with the 1920s or 1930s era. The black velvet and fur collar suggest an elegance that was prominent during that time. The loose seams and wear under the arms are typical signs of age, further indicating its vintage nature.

[Link etc removed by admin, please see forum rules]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2023