1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Doyle Bishop necklace

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kgb98367, Oct 11, 2021.

1. kgb98367

kgb98367 Registered Guest

I am seeking information about a piece received through an estate sale. I have researched all over trying to find more information but can only come up with articles nothing about the piece itself.
    It is made of wood with what appears to be gold chain.

JOHN DOYLE BISHOP appears on the box in the proper font for the designer. I have been searching for information for quite some time.

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

With the lid off how deep is the box then with it on, the overall depth, how long is the box?

Good photos but closer photos of the links and chain and the back of the face might be helpful.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Are you by chance in Seattle? John Doyle Bishop, the store and the man, are legendary there. If you Google his name plus Seattle you’ll find out about him.

4. kgb98367

The box is 1" x 2" x 8". The high quality material used in the box. I am in the Seattle area. I guess I am really trying to gauge a possible value or if this is just in the wrong box. This was a unique estate involving many unique pieces.

IMG_20211013_214438.jpg IMG_20211013_214454.jpg IMG_20211013_214506.jpg IMG_20211013_214514.jpg

5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by the " wrong box " but if your meaning did the box and the tribal neckless were made for each other, no I don't think so.

The tribal ware comes across as a decent gift or purchase, 1960s maybe, was treasured and a box found.

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I'd agree, the box and the necklace are not married.

7. kgb98367

Yes that is what I was trying to type until my autocorrect seemingly took over. I had a suspicion that the box and necklace were not married. I am curious as to what other jewelry pieces can be associated with Mr. Bishop that might explain what this box was originally intended for. I've searched and searched without success to see if Mr. bishop dabbled in jewelry as well as clothing.

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A 2011 FIT dissertation on John Doyle Bishop noted: “…”Bishop was not a couturier…The core of his business…was selling couture models and designer ready-to-wear, which were purchased for the shop on buying trips to New York, Los Angeles, and other cities.” So, I would think it is entirely possible the necklace did come in that box and was sold by Bishop, but was not anything he designed.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  9. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

My own feeling is the box is a few years older then the tribal ware.

Is it possible it was a school project of his when a lot younger? the lettering, the print work comes across that way.

He was proud of it, kept it and eventually found some use for it.