1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matty Talmack - the designer, and a dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Beth McKie, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Beth McKie

Beth McKie Registered Guest

Hello! It's my first time posting because I found a beautiful dress at a thrift store and can't find many comparable dresses with the Matty Talmack label without another designer's name attached. Is anyone familiar with her work?

The University of North Texas library website says of "Talmack": "Established 1949 by Matty and Herbert Talmack, in operation until at least 1970. Various designers worked for the House, including Dominic, John Moore, and Morty Sussman." John Moore is included in the VFG label resource.
    A press clipping on eBay contains a 1963 photo of Mrs. Matty Talmack, who "creates many styles on her own."

What I can deduce from the dress: The union label dates from 1963-1974; the collar label is from the Giralda Room at Swanson department store in Kansas City, Missouri. Materials feel luxe. No RN number.

Attached Files:

denisebrain likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! Lovely dress - unfortunately I'm not familiar with this company/designer, but the dress looks earlier 60s to me style-wise. Can you please also post a photo of the department store label?

3. Beth McKie

Thank you! Here is the really cool department store label.

Attached Files:

nsweezie and Vintagiality like this.
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Hi @Beth McKie! Thanks for sharing your research about this label. I too, am unfamiliar with the brand/designer, but would be happy to add it to the Label Resource.

We are on the hunt for regional department store labels, and would welcome the addition of Swanson's to the Label Resource., as well.

GemGem and denisebrain like this.
  6. Beth McKie

@Ranch Queen Vintage Done and done!

There are three Ebay links to newspaper clippings that have bits and pieces of information. I'll link below:

1959 press photo: "Mrs. Matty Talmack, charming award-winning fashion creator, will be Frost's featured guest on the store's Third Floor, beginning at noon Tuesday, September 1, and through Wednesday. Her entire autumn collection designed by the talented young Texas, John Moore, is considered to be one of the most original and flattering in the American Couture ..."

1963 press photo (mentioned in original post): "Mrs. Matty Talmack, owner and president of the Talmack fashion firm of New York, came to town .... Although Mrs. Talmack has a new French designer, she creates many styles on her own."

1966 press photo:
    "Matty Talmack, world-famed couturier, with her designer Dominic, winner of the Coty American Fashion Critics' Award for 1966 ..."

Other listings mention she designed for Elizabeth Taylor.

GemGem likes this.