1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little help please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Georgia Kazianni, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Georgia Kazianni

Georgia Kazianni Registered Guest

Hello and thank you for the accept. I am very new to vintage , so i would like to apologize if i start this identification journey with all you experts here, with a not so vintage apparel today. At first, thought it was a house coat, but weights over a kilo! The only label has, is the one i took on photo. Is made of rayon, both shell and lining. I searched a lot on net, to find something similar, but no success. Thank you in advance. Any suggestions to helpful articles about vintage fashion would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      268.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      266.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      166.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

That’s great! It looks a lot like the Aristos 1970s coats (British label), but the size tag is throwing me off a bit as they are usually printed, with a more ‘modern’ size (12 or 10 etc)
    If you search them up you’ll see what I mean, and maybe someone else can help further

GemGem and Georgia Kazianni like this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Are you certain the actual coat is rayon, it looks more like a blended wool from the photos.
    Your coat would be European. Love all the striped detailing, it looks older to me perhaps 50s but really difficult to say.
    without touching it. It does not look that large stating size 48 would seem to be a fairly large US size.

I have this Aristos Coat which is make of a chenille viscose fabric.

[​IMG]

4. Georgia Kazianni

Τhanks for your fast reply. I really appreciate it. I checked the Aristos size labelling and you are right. Everything i found is in UK size. Coat has a really really tiny waist and i feel is a modern XS-S size.

5. Georgia Kazianni

Hi. Thanks for your reply and help. Your coat is very similar to mine. Actually coat was found in Greece, and Aristos is either from Greece (Aristotelis Onasis) and Konstantinou either Greek or Cyprus. Did they export to other countries of Europe? I didn't know chenille fabric till today, so i think you are right, it is shinny, very soft but when i burn test it, it smelt and reacted like rayon. Also size label, as i wrote above, looks either from Greece, Italy, France or Denmark but in most of these countries 48 is a plus size and only in Italy 48 is similar to M. Coat is a modern XS-S, but it could fit also to M.

GemGem likes this.
  6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Georgia, we have information about the Aristos label in our label resource.
    just click on the name below:

Aristos

So the sizing on your coat is a bit of a mystery, as it is not large.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

It could be an Italian size 48, which is the European country to defy the sizing :), An Italian ladies 48 is a UK 12 (38 bust), as it's vintage it could be closer now to a uk 8/10. Im not sure why but it looks earlier to me, but perhaps 70s lent some earlier styling. The buttons certainly look more recent. Can you show any seam details?

8. Georgia Kazianni

72637429_539012406883692_2966463313250664655_n.jpg s_l1600_clipped_rev_1_org_1__s.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

hi! first of all thanks for the help! Actually yes i also believe is closed to an Italian 48 and this makes it more complicated to me, since on web if found two coats by Aristos, that as you can see are so similar to mine!!! Bellow i attached the coats i found - sorry i am not sure if this is appropriate if not please excuse and delete them- . The rest pics are from lining and inside. Hem is seamed with nylon thread.

GemGem likes this.
  9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Georgia, your best bet is to start a new thread for the other coats - it tends to be easier for everyone to keep things straight.

10. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The seam detailing does not look so old from what I can see, so the earlier vintage vibe I was seeing must be in the styling (the experts know much more than I do on this).

I'm not sure that it would be that strange to see Italian sizing on something Imported. I have had lots of vintage items new with tags (headstock) sold in high end London stores which had Italian or French sizing.

Alternatively it could have been made for the Italian market and exported. It certainly does look like the Aristos coat of Mary Jane's and also the other pictures you found online. It could be the same brand and has lost it's label or someone could have taken an original to a tailor/dressmaker in Italy and had one made up, or ....a dressmaker made very similar styles.

It's difficult to know without any further info. Which country/area did you find it?

Georgia Kazianni likes this.
  11. Georgia Kazianni

Good morning from Greece. This is where i found it. I am really happy for your reply, although i am new to all this, i had the same thoughts, so i feel i am in the right vintage path...:)