1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there gold standard steamers, floor-standing and handheld?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by BigBrother, Jun 10, 2022.

1. BigBrother

BigBrother Registered Guest

I don't want to buy cheap. I'm willing to spend on one of those built like a tank (ideally in the US), have it for life-type products. In each category, is there some de facto winner that everyone agrees is the Rolls Royce? To be fair though, I probably won't want to buy the absolute top of the top if it exceeds several hundred, so perhaps the best "prosumer" model (?) A somewhat cursory search leads me to Jiffy, but I'm not sure.

Thanks all!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  2. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I love my jiffy steamer, I've had mine for 10 years with no issues. I have the J-2 model, I spent extra for the metal steam head with the wood handle and it's totally worth it.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Second what Carla said. I swear I'd marry my Jiffy steamer. Built to last forever, heats fast—made by the company that invented the steamer, in the U.S.

4. BigBrother

All things I wanted to hear (I was really, really feeling good about the Jiffy, especially their bundle packages with a pretty nice discount on floor-standing + handheld!) Two things:

1. Any opinions on the J-2 vs. J-2000? Only listed differences are material and tank size, am curious.

2. I cannot for the life of me determine what the advantage is of the metal + wood head over the plastic one. All the reviews I’ve read just say the metal + wood is heavy and gets very hot. What am I missing?

Thanks!!

5. I used to have one of the big, tank-like ones but found it cumbersome and slow to heat so ended up using my handheld Jiffy the most. Can recommend.

6. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Yes the metal head get very hot, you have to be careful. I prefer the metal head because it gets hot, the heat from the steamer heats up the metal head like an iron so you can both steam and press the fabric. The handle is practically indestructible, it's been dropped on the floor and 10 years later it's still amazing.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The plastic water tank on my old trusty steamer deteriorated. It just fell apart. Mine was not a Jiffy, I bought it from a display company second hand, used it many years (with a glass water tank) and passed in on to a local museum.
    Marian

8. BigBrother

Oh that makes plenty of sense, now I get it. Thanks!!

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The Jiffy we used in the hat shop I used to manage was 50 years old and still going strong. What a workhorse!

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I had a Jiffy for almost 20 years but it didn't like the climate here - (I live very near the ocean) - and after awhile, the metal pitted, the storage tank for the water started to disintegrate and it had to be tossed. I bought a hand/small/travel-sized steamer on Amazon in 2019 and JUST used it today for the first time to steam a skirt. It worked very well. It is an isteam.

11. My steamer has been in my storage since 2010. I pulled it out and tried it today, and miraculously, it still works.

It is definitely worth spending the money for a good floor standing model.