1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help finding vintage qipao/cheongsam

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Lana2013, May 12, 2021.

1. Lana2013

Lana2013 Registered Guest

Hi everyone, I am need of finding a cheongsam/qipao. So a little bit of backstory, my family is from China, and my grandma used to have a cheongsam when she was little (around 1940s-to early 50s), however due to war and lots of family tragedies, her family lost all of its valuables. I've always had an interest in the 40's-50's era, and have always wanted a cheongsam of my own. If anyone has and is thinking of selling a cheongsam, preferably a vintage one, please let me know! My measurements are Bust: 34, Waist: 26, and hips 35.5-36

Things that I like in a cheongsam:
    Has some beading, though not necessary.
    Made of silk
    And flower designs or cool print is a plus!

Here are some of the cheongsams from around this time period that I absolutely love. Thank you so much!
    [​IMG]

Glamourdaze. “History of 1940s Fashion - 1940 to 1949 | Glamour Daze.” Pinterest,
    upload_2021-5-12_18-53-26.png
    “Shanghai Silk Film Noir Qipao Dress, 1940s.” 1stDibs.Com,
    [​IMG]
    TrunkofDresses. “Vintage 1940s Cheongsam Dress // 40s 50s Beaded Floral Wiggle Dress.” Etsy.com, 28 Feb. 2017, .

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2021
  2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

fortunately you are tiny, as many of the vintage cheongsams that we used to acquire were typically very small. I lived in Honolulu for 16 years, and found them quite often there. As a matter of fact, I had a gorgeous teal/turquoise blue one (the embroidery design was similar to your red example, but it was in a darker teal color than your turquoise example) that was stolen from the changing room at a restaurant I worked at; I still miss it, although i would never be able to squeeze into it anymore.

anyway, wishing you luck with your quest! they are heavenly to wear. xo

Lana2013 likes this.
  3. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Hi Lana,
    I have this one for sale in my Etsy shop.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Gorgeous shade of pink, Marsha!

This one is at MagsRags.net - it's a 1960s Shaheen
    [​IMG]

5. Lana2013

I'm so sorry that you had your cheongsam stolen! I agree they are so beautiful, and heavenly to wear. Thank you for sharing your isight with me!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. Lana2013

Thank you Marsha for sharing this cheongsam with me! It's such a gorgeous shade of pink:)

7. Lana2013

Thank you for sharing this with me Maggie! This is such a pretty style of cheongsam !

MagsRags likes this.
  8. eel

eel Registered Guest

I bought a large lot of gorgeous dresses and costumes several years ago, most Asian inspired with hand painting or beading. I think this person made things for an Asian show group. Also made formal dresses.

They are in storage so I can pull them in a week or so if you think you may be interested.

*edited by admin

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  9. Just FYI, if you check the dates at the bottom of the posts, you'll see this thread is almost a year old. And if you click on Lana2013's name, it will show you that they haven't checked in here since August 4, 2021. (In case you weren't aware. :))

Retro Ruth likes this.
  10. eel

eel Registered Guest

Thanks! I just looked at "May 31" it was after my sleeping pill, lol