1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valentino label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sheila Dawson, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Sheila Dawson

Sheila Dawson Registered Guest

I found this extra long maxi dress with a Valentino label, it has "made in Italy" on one side, but not Roma below the name Valentino...I was wondering if Valentino made this type of label, and there is also another tan label with handwriting BOAB670 tacked next to the V label. Is it possible this is a sample, and is it more recent? It's very small, and I did not have to pin it on my mannequin.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    wyogems likes this.
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I think it's 1990s... by the label. That BOAB670 could be, I'm guessing, a style #. Maybe it's a sample, yes.

3. Samples often have hand written labels that contain information including style number, season/range, fabric. Are there any more labels? I don't think this is a sample - look down the side seams. A '90s dress should have fabric composition and care labels too. The BAOB label could have been added at any point in the last twenty years (or whenever it was made), it looks like it's made of a rough cotton tape, I can't see a couturier having a material like that around, usually they use nicer things.

4. Sheila Dawson

Thank you bycinbyhand :D

@ Circa Vintage I turned the dress inside out, and there are no other labels, the bodice part is completely finished, if you wore this dress on the wrong side no one would could tell, except from the lower side seams.

Attached Files:

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I don't know if Valentinos labels of a certain 'strata' have the care labels. I saw a few Valentinos in 1st dibs that did not.

6. Care labels have been required by law since the '70s for all commercially manufactured apparel. That's not to say that sometimes they're not there, or that they're cut off but they should be there.

7. Sheila Dawson

Someone has the Valentino tag same exact dress, with the style # the same # that's on my dress, so It's the model number Took me awhile to find it, but woohoobanannaemoti not bad for a $2.00 investment[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That was definitely a good deal, Sheila! I'd like to shop where you shop!!!:)

9. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I have a blouse and skirt with that label. The blouse might be early 90s or 80s. The skirt could be anything.

GemGem likes this.
  10. Cathy Zimmerman

Cathy Zimmerman Registered Guest

Hello; I know this is an old post but since this info is still coming up in a search about Valentino labels, I feel obligated to share some information. That tag is NOT a vintage tag at all. It was actually used throughout 2004 to at least 2007.

For instance, below is a beautiful red Valentino Runway dress from 2004 with the exact same label.

Also, I happen to own a white Valentino dress that I know is genuine
    from the 2007 Spring Summer collection, with that exact same label.
    I feel I need to clarify, it's really not a vintage label at all, at least not yet, lol! It won't be vintage until 2024, since vintage is at least 20 years old.

If you do a search on ebay for a 'Valentino 2007 dress', there are five of them with same exact tag. I read I can't post the links, but if you're interested you can just do that search. I

I think the one some of you are thinking of is the 'VALENTINO ROMA' label that also uses the gold embroidered font. That would be the one from the 1990s. This gold embroidered font label with OUT the Roma on it, is a much newer label from around 2004 to 2007 that I know of. It could have even been used up to 2010.

I also noticed that Valentino often wasn't very elaborate with the care instructions tags during that time.. What is a mandatory law is the 1936 Tuttle law for customs imports & exports, that states every item of apparel, including handbags and wallets, etc.. must have a 'country of origin' label, such as the 'Made in Italy', as well as a materials tag to address potential allergies, but care instructions are not mandatory. For care, they can get away with a booklet or card instructions, but they do put the care symbols on the tags, such as the little iron & washtub, with or without the X going through them.
    On the newer items they include complete care instructions tags in several languages, as well as on quite a few other years, but I've seen a lot of Valentino that only had the care symbols placed right on the materials tags. The tags are shown in the ebay listings from a reputable seller that's been selling Valentino clothing for quite some time , and you will see, all they had was the care symbols on them.
    I just felt this info belonged here for folks trying to date Valentino labels. Hope this helps.

Valentino SS 2004.jpg Valentino SS 2004.jpg Valentino label 2004.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Midge, MagsRags, Vintagiality and 2 others like this.
  11. Thanks Cathy, that's great information. Appreciate your input.

denisebrain likes this.
  12. Cathy Zimmerman

Cathy Zimmerman Registered Guest

My pleasure. These tags can be so confusing trying to figure out what era they are from. I often wish these designers would remain consistent and stick with ONE brand label. THEN, on top of throwing in so many 'diffusion brands' of the label such as Valentino Couture, or Valentino Boutique, etc..( there are even more) it can REALLY get confusing! lol!
    The only thing consistent about these designers is that they are totally inconsistent! lol! It makes it really hard trying to authenticate anything. That's why I always use professional authentication services, rather than take a chance listing something that might be a fake, and what I have learned from the service I use over the years has been invaluable. They really taught me a lot. I often don't understand why everyone doesn't use them, especially when it's a tax deductible business expense that ends up costing one almost nothing at the end of the year.
    Anyhow, happy to help. Have a great day!

13. Yes, I'm a registered appraiser and do authentications too, but you need to see the object in your hand to be able to do so: photos are very limited.

Here at the VFG we're focused on the older fashions so can get caught up with modern styles: the clues don't change as much over the last 20-30 years so always appreciate input from those who know more.

14. MaggieSullivan

MaggieSullivan Registered Guest

Hi. Stumbled on this. I don't know if you know yet but I recognized this one-- look 59 in Spring 2006. Hope that helps!

15. MaggieSullivan

MaggieSullivan Registered Guest

16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

17. Sheila Dawson

I appreciate all the information, it was very helpful and educational thank you

18. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member