1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help identify this vintage fur - 70s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nostalgia, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Nostalgia

Nostalgia Registered Guest

Hello! I never venture over to the fur section in vintage stores, but this little number was out of place and caught my eye for some reason. She was priced ridiculously low and there was a 50 off sale, so I brought her home. Unfortunately, my research has turned up nothing, although I suspect she's made/imported by a Canadian furrier? Could someone please help to identify:

a) decade / time frame (70s disco era?)
    b) the type(s) of fur (I did go through the fur resource label here, but I admit I know nothing of this)
    c) the monogram (personalized for someone or company name - 2SC?)
    c) what do I do with her lol (currently she's hibernating in a plastic box with coffee grinds and cedar balls)
    Thank you all for your help and valuable knowledge, as always! closeup.JPG front.jpg Lining and monogram.jpg Lining and Underlining.jpg mixed pelts.JPG Style tag.jpg

2. hjlocke

hjlocke Registered Guest

This is muskrat fur. The monogram is usually the owner's initials - might be L, not 2?

Nostalgia likes this.
  3. Nostalgia

Thank you!
    Muskrat never even crossed my mind, I thought it might be beaver and rabbit mix lol. And, yes that does look more like and 'L' as opposed to a '2'. I think I will stay away from furs from now on.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

While furs are not my specialty, I have handled many over the decades. This does not strike me as muskrat. Hard to be 100% sure from just the photos.

Nostalgia likes this.
  5. Nostalgia

Thank you. I did try to take closeups in order to provide as much detail as possible, but i suppose feeling the fur would be more helpful. If you are able to provide some possible options, I can perhaps start researching from there on. The price on the style tag tells me it was quite expensive in its time, but it didn't strike me as mink or other high end pelts. Thank you for your time.

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Re the monogram, my first thought was that the first letter is a Q and when my husband walked by I asked what he thought the first letter was. He immediately said "Q" I then did a quick search for script fonts and found this somewhat similar one...just to show you that it can look like the numeral 2:

upload_2022-8-2_9-49-10.png

My husband then did a search for "female names starting with 'q' " and found a page of possible names.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Looks like late 1960s

Nostalgia likes this.
  8. hjlocke

hjlocke Registered Guest

Q does make more sense than L for the monogram, but I can assure you that this is muskrat. The coloration, texture, and layout of the pelts all point to muskrat.

Nostalgia likes this.
  9. Nostalgia

Q also makes sense. Thank you for the additional info!

10. Nostalgia

I can see that, now.
    It's about mid thigh length on someone of average height, and initially the general style gave me 70s, studio 54 vibes.

11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

What 'sold' me on the date was the double breasted buttons and that collar that I remember from the day. I'm old. lol