1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this? Handmade white lace cropped top

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by plousia, May 6, 2023.

1. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Normally I wouldn't have given this a second glance, but it reminded me of some of the Edwardian undergarments I've seen posted on this forum. It's (badly) handmade, with some crooked machine sewing and some hand sewing, around the collar. Some zig zag stitching on the side seams, but no serging.

Attached Files:

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

It is clearly home sewn, probably to be worn under a short jacket or bolero. I think it is probably 1960's, judging by the shape and back buttons.
    Marian

3. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Thank
    Thank you!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I see it also as a 60s summer crop top blouse worn with capri pants or bermuda shorts.

plousia likes this.
  5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I'm wondering if the eyelet fabric used for the front might have been repurposed from a small circular tablecloth?

6. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Ah, interesting. It certainly does look like it was repurposed from something else. We have lost a lot of ingenuity and skill since then, haven't we.

Edit: although, looking at it again, the scalloped edging goes all around the neckline, armholes, and bottom. It looks like that's the original shape.

7. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Another question about this for anyone who may see it: what kind of undergarment would have been worn under it? The back is quite sheer and the lace has no backing, so I'm assuming something must have been worn underneath other than just a bra?

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I believe a bra would be all that would have been worn with this sort of top. Let's see what others think.

lkranieri likes this.
  9. LuckycharmVintage

LuckycharmVintage Registered Guest

Super cute! I agree with above, looks like a repurposed older fabric maybe household linens/tablecloth repurposed into a 60's summer top.

10. I agree with 1960s (I had a favorite summer top of the same shape!), but disagree about it being repurposed from something else. The scalloping at the neckline, arm holes, and bottom looks original and I doubt could be done at home. I think it looks home-made because it was from a low-end store... mine was from K-Mart. I definitely remember some of my cheap store-bought clothing having an unfinished look inside.

11. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Yes, the scalloping indicates that is the original shape. It is definitely homemade though, the collar is tacked down with hand-stitching on the inside and the machine stitching is charmingly crooked (kind of like something I would sew, LOL), and the button bands don't match up - one is higher than the other so they're offset when it's buttoned. There is no evidence of there ever having been a label.

No matter, it's cute and I kept it - it fits and I bought a modern white cotton tank top to wear under it as I don't have the stomach for crop tops, literally or figuratively...

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.