A. Sulka & Co. silk pajama’s date?

Milinha

Registered Guest
Would anyone be so kind and inform me about the date of this A. Sulka & Co. pearl white silk pajama based on the attached label?
Man’s silk pajama with embroidered monogram and serial number.

Attachments

• IMG_5930.JPEG
    IMG_5930.JPEG
    58.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5931.JPEG
    IMG_5931.JPEG
    61.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5934.JPEG
    IMG_5934.JPEG
    66.5 KB · Views: 110
Wow, those are great! I've been lucky enough to handle a few Sulka pieces and they are so beautifully made.

Between the style of the pajamas (specifically that pointed collar) and the label, I would guess they are 50s. But I find this type of menswear tough to date because it's so classic - the style hasn't changed a lot over the years.

No matter what the age they are fantastic!

I am seeing 1950's as well based on style and the label. The light blue on the white background seems to be from the 50's.
A. Sulka and Co. Label resource

As these appear to be women's pajama's, with the direction of the button front, I will disagree and propose these may be from the 70s. I think the masculine style of the collar more closely matches the 70s style wide lapel collar made for both, but not earlier for women. Also, we don't have a match in our label resource - the listing of cities is done differently than our labels in the resource show. (Care to contribute your label to the resource?)Also, would that be an RN squarely inside the label? That would suggest after 1959. But, the man-style pajama, made for a woman is where I am thinking 70s. These are much nicer and in actual silk, which would have been a rarity by the 60s, merely for the wealthy, as everyone else was clearly on a polyester kick!

Excellent PJs! I agree with 70s. Doesn’t that curvy pocket top look kind of 70s groovy? And the collar. I had a very nice 70s Sulka wool sweater a while back. I’ll look to see if I still have a picture of the label.

A few years ago, I acquired 3 pairs of Sulka pjs from a very rich family's estate--you should have seen their home! I believe that they were circa 1940s (belted top orange pair with button on wide waistband) and 1950s (other 2 pairs, with drawstring waists). The silver gray pair from the 1950s is dated 1953 on the label, luckily enough! All 3 pairs had stripes on the sides of the pant to match the trim on the pj top: a wide stripe similar to tuxedo pants on the orange pjs and a narrow stripe, like piping, on the silver grey and off-white pjs.

I'll attach the photos and labels below, for reference. Feel free to use the labels for the LR, if these are different from the ones we already have?

LG156-deco pattern orange silk Sulka pajamas belted 1940s M - 01.jpg

LG156-deco pattern orange silk Sulka pajamas belted 1940s M - 09.jpg

LG156-deco pattern orange silk Sulka pajamas belted 1940s M - 03 copy.jpg

LG156-deco pattern orange silk Sulka pajamas belted 1940s M - 08.jpg

LG156-deco pattern orange silk Sulka pajamas belted 1940s M - 07 copy.jpg

LG155-pilgrims design silver silk Sulka pajamas 1950s mens M - 02.jpg

LG155-pilgrims design silver silk Sulka pajamas 1950s mens M - 05.jpg

LG155-pilgrims design silver silk Sulka pajamas 1950s mens M - 07 copy.jpg

LG154-sea creatures white silk Sulka pajamas 1950s mens M - 01.jpg

LG154-sea creatures white silk Sulka pajamas 1950s mens M - 11.jpg

LG154-sea creatures white silk Sulka pajamas 1950s mens M - 12 copy.jpg

LG154-sea creatures white silk Sulka pajamas 1950s mens M - 13 copy.jpg

A few years ago, I acquired 3 pairs of Sulka pjs from a very rich family's estate--you should have seen their home! I believe that they were circa 1940s (belted top orange pair with button on wide waistband) and 1950s (other 2 pairs, with drawstring waists). The silver gray pair from the 1950s is dated 1953 on the label, luckily enough! All 3 pairs had stripes on the sides of the pant to match the trim on the pj top: a wide stripe similar to tuxedo pants on the orange pjs and a narrow stripe, like piping, on the silver grey and off-white pjs.

I'll attach the photos and labels below, for reference. Feel free to use the labels for the LR, if these are different from the ones we already have?

Gorgeous! Thank you, Amy!

Back