Opinions on scarf dating?

plousia

Registered Guest
I always find scarves so hard. This one sadly had a label which has been cut off. Why don't these people think of future vintage hunters?!

The motifs remind me of 50s, but the colours look quite 80s. I *think* it's rayon, but can't be sure as there's nothing to take to do a burn test. Hem is machine-sewn.

Can take more pics if that would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_9100.jpg
    IMG_9100.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9101.jpg
    IMG_9101.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 77
Sure, here's both sides of the hem as well as the label remnant.

Attachments

• IMG_9104.jpg
    IMG_9104.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9102.jpg
    IMG_9102.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9103.jpg
    IMG_9103.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 69
hmm the miniscule bit of label remnant I was able to snip off seems to burn test as rayon? I'd guess that would place it earlier if so?

Oh no, I thought it was rayon before doing the burn test. It absolutely feels like rayon, but other than the label there is nothing to burn to be sure.

I thought the label being rayon might indicate an earlier date because I assume later labels are usually synthetic?

Do you mean this design?

Attachments

• IMG_9105.jpg
    IMG_9105.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 54
OK. That design is a small round jewelry box with what looks like a gold necklace draped over it. I have washed the scarf and it's hanging to dry so I'll have to take a picture probably tomorrow.

There are also a couple more minor motifs of what look like jewelled necklaces, which can be seen at the bottom of the full scarf picture.

Thanks for the additional confirmation. A bit of a pity it's not original, but it's still a really pretty scarf.

I always find scarves so hard. This one sadly had a label which has been cut off. Why don't these people think of future vintage hunters?!

The motifs remind me of 50s, but the colours look quite 80s. I *think* it's rayon, but can't be sure as there's nothing to take to do a burn test. Hem is machine-sewn.

Can take more pics if that would be helpful.
I am in the scarves business of all kinds. Can guide in detail about all kinds of scarves and silk square because that is my area is specialization

Back