Cojana London - Harrods

Wow! just wanted to say how amazing this thread is. It dates back to 2010 and has a wealth of examples through time and fantastic information from those involved with the designer. This is a perfect example of how wonderful & powerful the VFG is. Brings so many people together across the board!

Hi. My name is Ziva and my mum, Patricia, modeled for Cojana throughout the '60's. I thought I'd update you with some info you might be interested in!

Cojana employed 4 permanent models, 2 'tall' and 2 'petite'. My mum was one of the 'talls' at 5'8. The petites were 5'2.

They were a German/Jewish family headed by "Oncle Jacoby". The company was run by his nephew, Hans Jacoby. His nephew, Ernest, was part of the company and Hans' brother-in-law, Henry Chambre, was a fabric buyer. The showroom was at 10 Poland Street in Soho and the factory (at the time my mum worked there) was in Shoreditch.

Buyers came from all over the country including Harrods and Fortnum and Mason. 'Mr Hans' used to go to Paris every year to buy 'toilles' (patterns) from Chrisian Dior, Chanel etc. They would be made up on the permanent models and there would be fashion shows in the Poland Street showroom 3 times daily, 9.30, 12.30 and 3.30, to buyers for 6-9 weeks each season.

Hope you enjoyed the info!
Hi Ziva, My mum would have been one of the petite models - she modelled through the 60's her name was Sally Nicholson. Must ask mum if she remembers Patricia. I had a lovely coat until recently black cape very elegant which was one she modelled.

Hi Shelley
Sorry for huge delay in replying, but great to hear that your father worked with my dad. It sounds like they may have worked together at a few places as my dad also designed for Windsmoor. It's nice to hear that people are still enjoying the clothes and I know that my father would have been glad. He never liked to do anything that was not well made or stylish.

Back