1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1833 Needlework Instruction Books - Wow

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Mar 8, 2017.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

17202776_10158624322380019_4491501866782600115_n.jpg

This was on Pinterest -

Needlework Instruction Books With Samples - Ireland 1833 and 1837 - "A Concise Account of the Mode of Instructing in Needle-Work " printed by Thomas I. White, Dublin, 1833, and "Specimens of Needle-Work Executed in the Female Model School" printed by George Folds, the cover inscribed "Sarah Darby 1837". These two very rare needlework instruction books include cloth samples of sewing, darning, embroidery, knitting, and miniature clothing. They sold for $3,304.00 at auction.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm pretty sure I had seen this on an antiques road show from the UK...amazing isn't it!

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Wow...not only is that beautiful. but you brightened my day by giving a date. I have an undated one and while I don't think it is quite that old and not as nice, it is somewhat similar. Here are a few very much not-so-wonderful photos of the one I bought at a house sale a few years ago...

NeedleworkBkCvr.jpg

"Gathering and Putting on Band"
    GatheringAndPuttingOnBand.jpg

"Hemmed Patch"
    HemmedPatch.jpg

"Button, Button-hole, Hooks & Eyes"
    ButtonButtonholeHooksEyes.jpg

"Chain stitch Hem; Pin Tucks"
    PinTucks.jpg

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Tiny dress! Teeny corset! I love it. Thank god I didn't see it for sale.

6. OMG. I have seen something like this before, as well (Antiques Roadshow sounds familiar, yes). Just amazing.