1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1920s Leather Bag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by UndoneMrs, Jan 28, 2011.

1. UndoneMrs

UndoneMrs Registered Guest

My mother found this bag at a garage sale, It looks art deco to me, but I haven't really dealt with accessories from this time period. Was thinking it was possibly 20s ? It came with a lot of paper work, checks, bank books, receipts, address book, poll tax receipt; some of the items are dated 1931 and 1932. Was hoping I could get help with description and dating. Many thanks !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

oh, what a treasure!!

i think a purse similar to this was posted recently....those are Arts & Crafts/Art Nouveau era design elements

that is COOL. congratulations!

3. UndoneMrs

Thanks !
    I don't know if the documents are of value but I think I'll include them.

It reminds me of a purse from that movie 'Ironweed', that movie makes me sob for days but its so beautiful !

4. UndoneMrs

Wanted to add the pull on the frame top is labeled ' TURNLOC '

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

What a wonderful find! I think it is very early '30's and the items you found in it are contemporaneous - probably from the original buyer. There are similar bags featured in the Sear's Everyday Fashions Book - and I'm pretty sure in "Collectible Fashions of the Turbulent Thirties" - but I'll have to get the book out and look.

6. bycin

bycin Guest

At a garage sale no less! LOVELY!

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I think the purse is older than the dates on the documents. I believe these are from about the 1910 period...very Arts & Crafts movement, tooled leather. Lovely and wonderful to get the added bonus of the old documents.

Thank you for sharing!

8. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Lovely bag! Is there a maker's name imprinted on it anywhere? This with the green lining reminds me of a well-known maker of this style of bag (but I'm brain lapsing this a.m. because I can't remember the name!). I think it pre-dates the documents as well, but by how much I have little idea.

9. joules

joules VFG Member

I also believe it to be earlier, though I don't know just how much earlier. Looks like it served right through the Depression years, admirably.

I have a somewhat similar one, (obtained via a swap) that has some markings inside. Can't recall at the moment; perhaps the name that Anne is thinking of. I will look and report back in.

10. joules

joules VFG Member

Mine is Meeker, made in Joplin Missouri, of Genuine Steerhide.

Here is a neat page with a lot of these types of purses pictured:
    http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/collectPursesAC.html

Yours is the cyclamen pattern one, scroll down a bit, to the right, and it is dated 1920 there.

11. joules

joules VFG Member

And here is mine. I love it, and it has a lot of compartments, in a compact space:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Teens to very early 20s. These tooled leather purses with the frames were quite popular then with Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau motifs. They held up well, as you still see them today in pretty good shape. A frugal gal in a smaller city would have carried this right on through the Depression.

Are you thinking Jemco? That was a maker name from the era.

Joules, your is lovely and with the nylon lining, I would guess 50s?

Hollis

13. joules

joules VFG Member

Hollis, I don't know. This is not my area, but I do think it is older. The nylon thing throws me too, as Nylon was introduced in the late 30s.

In the link above, Jemco is named as a maker of the hardware, as is Turnloc.

I'm not sure what brand the bag under discussion is, but Meeker produced a lot of the purses! (They closed in 1987.)
    http://www.bagladyemporium.com/blu/index.php?n=Main.MeekerCo

14. Linn

I read a little bit more about these bags this morning and learned that they continued to be popular into the 1930's - going out of fashion about 1935. The later bags were often machine tooled. I read that the patent number was often embossed on the frame of the purse. Looking through a few sources, I feel that the C. 1920's date is correct for your bag but this style - particularly in machine tooled versions could be found with Art Nouveau motifs well into the '30's.

Here's a 1928 ad for a hand-tooled leather bag with a suede lining and Turnloc clasp. Too bad we can't see the details of the design!

[​IMG]

Fabulous find!

15. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Linn is correct. It is a little confusing when the Art Nouveau style is usually referred to as ending c1918. The style elements of Art Nouveau however were used in the 1930's and I came across a reference online to a chapter in Evelyn Haertig's book 'More Beautiful Purses' - 'Art Nouveau Leather Bags, all American made, including photos of the bags being made by both men and women in American factories. Art Nouveau leather purses, the 'day purse' of choice, and popular for 15 years, 1915-1930.' There is also a Denver Jeweler's Buying Guide 1932 which shows Mastercraft Handbags. Just google either or both.

So, I think this handbag or purse is in keeping with the dated contents. Always nice to have that.

16. joules

joules VFG Member

Yes, that is what I was saying, the bag in question appears to be from 1920.

It's obvious that my bag is of a later date, though I'm not sure just what year it is. My purpose was to speculate as to the maker, and thereby lead to further clues, which it did. The identical bag is pictured in the first link posted, above, I do believe.

17. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

From a 1927 Sears, Roebuck catalog - an almost identical bag, with Art Nouveau decoration and Turn-Loc frame:

[​IMG]

I would have initially dated this earlier too, because of the distinctly Art Nouveau-style decoration, but this proves again that it was a style that remained popular - and in fashion - for some time.

Karin

18. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Thank you Midge! Great ad - so these certainly went on well into the 20s.

Oh - here's a thought. Would it be most likely that in general, receipts, etc. date the last few times the bag was used, before it was put away rather than when it was bought?

Hollis

19. Linn

These bags were made into the '30's and were popular until about 1935 - according to "Collectible Fashions of the Turbulent '30's." I think this one is from the late '20's - it's very similar to the one in the ad that Midge showed and and that I found. (There's a whole page of them in the Everyday Fashions of the 1930's Sear's catalog on the 1930 page.)

I think it's possible that the things that were stored in it are from the last time it was used - or maybe someone put them there to preserve them at a latter date (?) Except for the lining the bag is in fabulous condition so it may have been used for 5+ years or more and then put away.

It's a wonderful find!

20. joules

joules VFG Member