1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1920s wedding veil

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Mar 13, 2021.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Hi there. I have a 1920s wedding veil with bunches of wax flowers on either side and the veil is cathedral length and extremely fragile. Like breathing on it tears it. It’s very similar in appearance to the veils in these photos. Could you recommend what kind of tulle would be an authentic replacement? Thanks!

0A741624-0C47-4577-8745-AE9BFC1C9464.jpeg 6E755666-D83C-42D8-AC70-A794727B06B5.jpeg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. acceber

acceber VFG Member

The actual veil.

A987E366-33B2-4213-9728-ADA748B10EA9.jpeg 97CABC12-79AB-46AB-AE96-535D9C12C312.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Many of these antique veils were made of silk maline. It is much finer than tulle, and much more fragile as you have discovered. Finding real silk maline today is difficult and if I recall it is very very expensive. I have not searched online for any in years, but you can give it a try.

Edited to add that I visited Hats by Leko and saw this listed for sale. Sandra, the owner is very reputable and knows her stuff. Her sale price on this is beyond crazy low. Of course, that is by the yard and you will need quite a bit. Her extreme close up photo is not telling me if it is indeed antique silk maline, but she is usually "on the money" on vintage millinery as they say.

https://www.hatsupply.com/vintage-silk-maline-yardage/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Oh thank you. How wonderful is that? Unfortunately she appears to be out of the color I need. Probably many people out there trying to restore antique veils!

5. Thank you for asking this question. I have 2 1920s veils with disintegrating tulle veils.

acceber likes this.