1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1930's Golden Silk Gown...need help with stain removal!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by CLVintage, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Mildew is a kind of fungus - you need to kill it before you can get rid of the smell. Heat and sun is the best way to do that but of course, it can fade and damage the vintage silk - hence why I recommended drying in the shade.

Airing might help with the smell in the short term, but it won't kill the mildew so the smell will come back.

I haven't tried vinegar but there are other people here who can hopefully advise.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Sorry to hear the steaming brought out the mildew odor. The trials and tribulations of handling vintage!

As you have the capelet...you could always try to hand wash that first and see what happens.

Nicole, I just clicked the link to the 20s dress you are restoring....what a gorgeous piece and love the story behind it!

3. CLVintage

CLVintage Registered Guest

Oh, I never saw that i had replies! So, airing + a light vinegar/water spraydown seemed to work. When its dry its *completely* odorless...until I hit it with steam again! I am heading to Seattle next weekend and located a dry cleaner that not only specializes in antique/vintage clothing, but also some special deodorizing method. So, I'll be packing her along for the trip! I really hope that does the trick...I'm just too scared to wash it. The vision of that rayon plisse dress shriveling up to a 1/3 of its size before my eyes traumatized me forever I think! But my daughter and I are both asthmatic, so it's that or permanent sealed storage. :( I was really hoping to pass It onto its rightful and tall owner before the holidays, but such is life with vintage! I am thinking of bringing a portable mini steamer on buying trips from now on! Ha!

Mary Jane, that's plan B! :)