1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940s crochet, knit patriotic blouse and skirt set

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by victoryvtg, Nov 23, 2022.

1. victoryvtg

victoryvtg Registered Guest

I found this in a local thrift shop. How rare is this? I have seen the ads, have yet to see one in real-life.

Attached Files:

2. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

What do you mean by "How rare is this?" People used to craft at home, and knit patterns are readily available. If there is no tag, it could be homemade. If that is the case, you may have a better time discerning the era by looking through patterns, and doing a burn test to determine the fiber. I also usually segregate new-to-me knits to the freezer for a few weeks, just in case it's natural fiber (wool or silk) and anything has made a nest and laid eggs. After the freeze, I do a gentle hand cleaning -- often with older knits, more places need mending than are easily seen on first pass! It's disappointing to mend, wash, and then find more mending needs to be done.

The collar may be the key to determining this ones age - that is very unique! Sorry, I don't have the answer, but knowing the fiber will definitely help.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I'm not really seeing home knit for this. It's not impossible, but that kind of edging and buttons is not what I've seen on home crafters patterns.

If you can show a close up of the stitching I can probably tell you if it's knit or crochet.

how is the skirt waist finished? Is there an opening?

I'd love to see what ads you mean relating to this - can you share?

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Do you have close up photos of the seams, waistband finishing as well as one of the yarn?

Retro Ruth likes this.