1940's Men's Burberrys

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Helen Siwak, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Helen Siwak

Helen Siwak Registered Guest

Picked this item up at a thrift. Clerk said a movie production costumer had come by and said the coat was from the 1940's. There are a few decades missing from the label resource for Burberrys pre-1960 so maybe after some discussion we can add this one.

This coat is very dusty and smells pretty old. What is the best way to de-dust and remove the smells without drycleaning. I don't think I want to trust this beauty to the neighbourhood shop.

Thanks for any and all feedback on this coat!

Helen

Vintage Burberrys 5.JPG Vintage Burberrys 6.JPG Vintage Burberrys 7.JPG Vintage Burberrys 1.JPG Vintage Burberrys 2.JPG Vintage Burberrys 3.JPG Vintage Burberrys 4.JPG

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I have found that wool garments dry clean beautifully, regardless of the age. The lining appears to be rayon, which should dry clean well, too.
    Marian

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks 50s to me because of the full cut. Is there a belt, or is the belt missing? There should be belt loops on the waist

4. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I too was thinking 50s.

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I agree with both Marian, Jonathan, and Maureen. I just had a 50s wool coat dry cleaned and it was fine. Your coat looks 50s to me also. Collar is just right, deep raglan sleeves, swing style, lining color and lining fabric are all very typical in 50s coats. I really wouldn't expect this coat to have a belt or belt loops considering the style and the the other Burberrys coats I have seen from this time.

Pinkcoke and tickeryboo like this.
  6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

You're right it doesn't have to have a belt, I was thinking trench coat styles because its a Burberry. Because of its full cut, I think its early 50s - goes with that look of draped pants and heavy soled shoes.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Beautiful! I love the slate of the leather buttons, and the way it picks up the colorway!

I agree with Caryn and Marian that this is a good candidate for dry cleaning, and if it's dusty and smells, it's necessary anyway. However... I've had cleaners destroy the rayon linings in wool jackets, so I'd either talk to the cleaners (about testing the fabric, using new solution, being very gentle, etc) or try and find a specialty cleaner or someone who does the work on the premises.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  8. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I totally agree with Carrie about the lining. I was sure to tell my dry cleaner what type of fabric the lining was in my last wool coat and he was confident he could clean the coat and lining, no problem.

Just for the fun of it being we have already established dating I found a few similar Burberry coats in ads that were similar described as topcoats or overcoats. Not sure how long your coat is but lengths varied a bit at the time in coats;

November 9th, 1951
    Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 11.48.11 AM.png

March 28th, 1952
    Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 11.30.53 AM.png

March 29th, 1953
    Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 11.22.44 AM.png

9. Helen Siwak

Thanks everyone for such amazing information! I see this piece has whetted a few palettes! We will take it for cleaning and cross our fingers that we make the right choice with the establishment. :clapping:

10. Helen Siwak

So we decided to skip the dry cleaning for two reasons - paranoia & cost! Threw it in the dryer with a fresh Bounce sheet for 30 minutes. Came out fresh and clean smelling. Very pleased! We will be posting it this evening. Best wishes and Thanks!