1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940s menswear suit re-worked as a womens’ suit?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lawrrawr, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Lawrrawr

Lawrrawr Registered Guest

So, I’m not sure where this suit came from, or if refashioning a mens’ suit for a woman was indeed a thing in years past. I found this suit in a Kansas City thrift shop years ago, and it appears to be a suit for a Mr L. Brumfield, but repurposed to fit a female body. But: what is this thing?! Was it common to repurpose a mens’ suit for a female form? And WHAT IS THIS SUIT? photos here: https://imgur.com/a/i7NU2Sr

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Hi!

I've had a couple of these before, so I think it was somewhat common.

I love the look of your suit and how it retains the elements of a men's suit - especially those lapels!

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

There are 'make do and mend' how to books and panphlets from the war about remaking men's suits into women's suits. With the men off to war, a lot of suits languished away in cupboards, so why not put them to good use... The museum has one example in its collection.

4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I have seen the patterns and directions for reworking a man's suit for a woman's use-1940's war time. Also much of the wool cloth production was going to uniforms, so fine woolens were less available. I have had more than one. Jonathan, I think one of the newsletters I donated to you has an article and directions.
    Marian

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

renovate.jpg

7. Lawrrawr

Lawrrawr Registered Guest