1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1960s Lilli Ann Coat and Dress Set - How should I clean it and treat stains?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hannahv132, May 7, 2022.

1. Hannahv132

Hannahv132 Registered Guest

Hello!

I purchased this 1960s Lilli Ann set the other day. It has a few stains and smells of cigarettes. What’s the best way to clean this piece? I didn’t think dry cleaning would get the stains out, but I could be wrong. I do have a lot of special detergents and soaps at home that I treat my vintage with, but I’m not too sure I should submerge this piece in water. The idea scares me…..Both the dress and the coat are very heavy. Pictures are below. Thank you!

Hannah

1E588BB1-40B2-4AAB-95B8-F8FE52A73904.jpeg 47D248DB-F3E8-45E7-A967-EFC6ED2E7A84.jpeg 6F2F6F25-FCF8-433D-95E3-49F88EDA27B6.jpeg 33D58EED-D151-4EC8-B72E-6DE321302214.jpeg

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

congratulations, what a gorgeous set!! and by Lilli Ann no less!!

cigarette odors can often be lightened if not eliminated by hanging outside, let Mother Nature air her out. It might take a few days (bring in the house in the evenings, of course) but that should help quite a bit.

I would be hesitant to soak that, instead maybe try rolling up a white towel and place it under those spots, and then spot clean (sounds like you're familiar with cleaning already). let it rest, and then maybe spot clean again, if needed. just be sure to have that towel underneath to help soak up any stain that may soak through rather than lift out.

I'm sure others will chime in with ideas for you here, too.

it is super cute, congratulations!

3. Hannahv132

Hannahv132 Registered Guest

Thank you for your input! Much appreciated.

Hannah

The Vintage Merchant likes this.