1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$20 Donation for info on handmade dress and jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Trish, May 3, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Registered Guest

Hi friends!
    I'd like to list this stunning set but I need help identifying the decorative elements, style (sheath and swing coat?), decade, and fabric. A lot, I know. I just couldn't pass it up! The detail photos are not true to color--I tried using the light to enhance the details (like the powder that remains inside the dress shield).
    Your humble student,
    Trish

Full size photos below!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi Trish are you able to upload the images seperately please? as the montage isn't big enough to see what you are trying to show us.

3. Trish

Trish Registered Guest

20171216_120220.jpg 20171216_120634.jpg
    20171216_120326.jpg 20171216_120237.jpg

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  4. Trish

Trish Registered Guest

5. Trish

Trish Registered Guest

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

1960s, probably Hong Kong made with that quilted lining amd bound interior finishes.

denisebrain likes this.
  7. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I agree with Hollis. It looks very well made.

8. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Yes, 1960's ensemble. How nice to see the excellent workmanship in your garments. I recommend discarding the under arm shields as you thank the person who used them to prevent under arm staining. The "dust" you mentioned might be "devil dust", that sticks to and contaminates everthing it touches.
    Marian

vintagevixen likes this.
  9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Agree with Hollis, I have had a couple of items with that same type of embroidered lining and they were 1960s and Made in Hong Kong. Marian is also correct remove the arm shields as that devil dust is really terrible stuff. Beautifully constructed and love the color, so elegant!

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

11. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Very nice. I agree with the dating above and will also note it's very similar to a number of Mary Harnes dress sets I've seen. (I have one which is a green dress and jacket with waist detail similar to yours.

12. Trish

Trish Registered Guest

Thanks, everyone. Does anyone have an opinion on the fabric? Is there a name for the decorative quilting? Is there a name for the treatment on the buttons and waist tie?

13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

wrapped buttons, bound buttonholes.

14. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks to me like Alaskine, with a silk satin coat lining. The skirt's lining might be China silk?

15. Trish

Trish Registered Guest

Thanks for the Alaskine tip and all the rest.
    $20 donated.

denisebrain likes this.