1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30/40s or 70s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Hi all

Picked up this dress and due to the style and construction I thought it was 30/40s (especially because of the way the puff sleeves fall); however many people are telling me this dress is from the 70s so now I'm confused. It's cotton, handmade and has a side metal zipper. Can anyone help me figure this out please? Thanks

20210909_193647.jpg 20210909_220505.jpg 20210910_073850.jpg 20210910_073942.jpg 20210910_074955.jpg

GemGem likes this.
  2. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Couple of questions, Tamzzyn - has the zipper got a brand name? Does the dress have a label? If so, can we see both?

3. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Hi :) The dress is handmade so no label. It has a metal talon zipper.

4. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Tamzzyn likes this.
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I know, home sewers can use older zippers and older techniques... but in general, the side zipper also points towards older. In the 70s the zipper would normally have been in the back. Let's see what others have to say, but my gut feeling, looking at the style and shape, says "older" as well :).

Tamzzyn likes this.
  6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I have sold these kinds of dresses before. They are 40s/50s square dance dresses. NOT 70s.

7. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

My experience is the same as Cin's - usually 1950's square dance dresses.
    Marian

Tamzzyn and MagsRags like this.
  8. I'm don't recall seeing a floor-length square-dance dress? (But I've no experience with square-dancing other than a six-week dance module in Phys Ed class!)
    OP's dress definitely has that styling, however.
    A 1940s square dance dress pattern:

[​IMG]

9. I did find several images of floor-length dresses worn square-dancing.
    Here's one (undated, unfortunately):
    EDIT: This image is a postcard and Google found a used one that was posted in 1953.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    GemGem, Vintagiality, Tamzzyn and 2 others like this.
  10. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thank you all so much :) Definitely see 40/50s now.

beatingHeart

GemGem and The Vintage Vendeuse like this.
  11. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Square dancing was a big thing in my rural area. Somehow, I associate the bouffant petticoats with the shorter skirts. I am not sure if that would help in dating.
    Marian

GemGem likes this.