1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30s or 40s on this dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by carla rey, May 14, 2019.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Hi all!

It feels 30s to me but I keep second guessing myself. Slub rayon with art deco 'belt' and epaulets in soutache and corde. Hard round 30s buttons on the back of the neck. Modern zipper is a replacement. No shoulder pads, no label. Skirt appears to be taken up at some point but is 28.5 inches from the waist to hem with 3 additional inches in the hem.

Thanks in advance!
    LabelsandDetails-9677_RT.jpg LabelsandDetails-9678_RT.jpg LabelsandDetails-9679_RT.jpg Dress30sBlackDecoChristine-9048_RT.jpg LabelsandDetails-9680_RT.jpg 2019-05-14 10.00.25.jpg Dress30sBlackDecoChristine-9065_RT.jpg Dress30sBlackDecoChristine-9067_RT.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a beauty. I am going to go with early 40s.

carla rey likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a great dress. To confuse the issue, I see 1930s. However, not knowing the original length makes it harder to date.

carla rey likes this.
  4. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

The shoulder treatments have a bit of a military/epaulet vibe so wonder if it could be late 30s/early 40s WW2 impending influence?

carla rey likes this.
  5. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I'm going to go with cusper on this one :)