1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40's -60's vintage chanel purse?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by coachv, Feb 19, 2010.

1. coachv

coachv Registered Guest

40\'s -60\'s vintage chanel purse?

any experts out there who can tell me if this is a 1940's-60's vintage chanel purse? when did they start using the interlocking c's as their logo?

2. coachv

coachv Registered Guest

another pic

another pic

3. I don't think the logo is Chanel's - is there another reason why you think this might be Chanel?

Nicole

4. It's a pretty purse, but I also don't think it's Chanel I think their intertwined C logo was already in use at the time your purse was made.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I used to have three interlocking CC monogrammed handkerchiefs that were from Chanel from the 1930s. You got one with every purchase at Chanel. I wish I had kept one now but I sold them on eBay.... At any rate, the intertwined logo was already in use. Your purse has the owner's initials I think. I have a purse with the owner's initials on it from the 1940s, so it was a fashionable thing to do at that time.

6. coachv

coachv Registered Guest

cvc,

no reason. i just see the CC and think coco chanel. it's also really well made.

tvv & jonathan,

at a site called the purseblog forum, there are a few chanel experts (allegedly) and one claims the interlocking c's became the chanel logo in the early 80's. that site is a lot busier than this one so i hoped it might provide an accurate concensus. thus, it's hard to know who to believe. what makes this a difficult question, and the reason i am here, is that there does not seem to exist, a single photo, anywhere on the web, of a mid-60's or earlier chanel purse. inconceivable!

jonathan, at least you provide a potential explanation for the CC being a monogram. if that is true, it would have been a very expensive purse indeed. still, that makes sense in lieu of it representing a manufacturer. i mean, if you are a purse maker, would you choose the logo CC knowing coco chanel is out there? i think not.

7. Coachv, I'm not sure that Chanel made purses or handbags earlier than the 1960s - certainly I'm not aware of any but there are Chanel experts here who can tell you more.

If you check the VFG label resource you will see examples of the interlocking Cs logo that are from the 1970s. I know they were used much earlier than that, so I bow to Jonathan's knowledge on this one. I agree with him that the initials are a monogramme.

Nicole

8. laughingmagpie

laughingmagpie Registered Guest

I'm no expert at all... but I do love a google challenge.

From my reading of various blogs and articles, and several images, in addition to what's already been posted in this thread, it seems to me that Chanel was using the interlocking C's for a long time prior to Karl Lagerfeld's leadership in the 1980s. However, the original Chanel handbags she launched in 1955 did not have the interlocking C's as a clasp - they had a plain sort of clasp. Lagerfeld changed the clasp to the interlocking C's in the 1980s.

If you look at the wikipedia article on Chanel, it states that the interlocking C's were first trademarked in the US in 1924 and they reference the original trademark registration here:
    http://www.trademarkia.com/cc-71205469.html

For instance, you can see the interlocking Cs in this 1938 ad for Chanel perfumes (from the blog "The Painted Woman" - scroll down and click on image for full size):
    http://thepaintedwoman.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-shopping-1930s.html

This blog shows a comparison of an original "2.55" Chanel bag (named after its release in the 2nd month of 1955) with a contemporary classic bag and you can see the original clasp design:
    http://fashionpearlsofwisdom.blogspot.com/2009/11/chanel-255-handbag-history-facts-and.html

and here are a couple Chanel bags dated to the 1960s:
    [edited - when I read it closely, this was actually a link to the blog of a non-VFG store and so I can't post it here, I think.]

So in a way, both opinions are correct: Chanel bag clasps became interlocking C's in the 1980s, while before that they were plain. However, Chanel's logo of the interlocking C's has been around ever since the 1920s (and I think if she had put any C's on her handbags, she would have used her trademark interlocking ones, not side by side C's).

I hope this is helpful.

Jen

9. wire9vintage

wire9vintage Registered Guest

coachv, it appears that there is something missing from the center of the purse. I see four little dots there, right?

Also, the purse is leather, correct? Or is it a shiny fabric? Folks, am I correct in thinking that purses were not made of leather once upon a time? I'm curious about a date for this bag, now...

Intriguing post...

10. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

as far as leather goes, I have handbags from the early 1900s made of tooled leather...and I imagine the use of leather for bags would go back even further as it is sturdy and readily available.

ang

11. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

My immediate thoughts on the purse were personal monogram as well - heck, it could be Carol Channing. It does look very well made and the hinging, if I am seeing it correctly, is wonderful. Jen - Good work! You're hired. :USETHUMBUP:

12. coachv

coachv Registered Guest

thanks to all, esp. jen. stupid me, i left out the importants detail of this being suede. i just picked up the purse htis morning and got black all over my hands. i took these pics a couple of nites ago and that did not happen. i rubbed it down with a dry rag and the entire rag got black. wow. interestingly, the suede looks nicer now anf the 4 tiny holes/dots someone mentioned (that i had not noticed) blended away.

i have sold many vintage purses in my time and have never seen a hinged opening like this. very cool. also the clasp is unique. the center part rolls back and forth to close and open. anyone seen one of these before and know what it's called?

13. coachv

coachv Registered Guest

i found a tiny stamp on the inner frame marked jemco. after visiting the evil auction empire, i found many vintage purses bearing this mark, some with patent dates. dates ranged from 1915 to 1934. some also had a seperate name, which could be either the purse maker (which would make jemco the hardware supplier) or the retailer. i guessing the purse maker. again, thanks to all!

14. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

If the black is coming off the suede that means it is "crocking".....as the suede aged, the dye has broken down and is coming off. sadly there is nothing that can seal it and it will continue to rub off.....

Ang

15. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I did a quick search for Jemco. I believe Jemco is /was a handbag frame maker - so I think you are correct that Jemco made the hardware or the frame on your purse. I do not think they were the purse maker.

Linn

16. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

17. coachv

coachv Registered Guest

more good stuff, thanx

18. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

19. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I've always wondered if that could be fixed. I still have an AMAZING 30's bag (also black suede) in a plastic bag in my back room just hoping for a cure.
    :damnit:

I agree -- 1940's and monogrammed with the owners initials. A very popular trend - I've had quite a few 40's monogrammed handbags & clutches.

I know nothing about Chanel. :)

20. Mary Nicholson

Mary Nicholson Registered Guest

Early CHANEL logo? I found a suede & leather, black handbag. It is boxy, almost military style. The frames are gold plated. The inside is plastic. Quality hardware & zippers. The front has 2 raised gold cc, a large C with a smaller c inside of it and also stamped on frame. Im guessing it's from the 50s, but feel it is earlier. On a 2010 post, A member suggested owners intitials. I don't think the Cc would also be on the purse frame itself. I realize that the opposite facing Cs of Chanel are well documented. Thank you.