1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40s look in modern interpretation

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yesterday was my cousin's wedding. The dress code was pretty much "what you like" - but I still thought it was too bad that many (especially young) people obviously interpreted that as "casual"... After all, a wedding is not just any occasion, I think.

I knew what my cousin's dress was going too look like more or less, and I knew her best friend was going to wear something long and off-the-shoulder too, so I thought I'd go for something more glamourous from my vintage wardrobe. However, I stumbled upon a divine dress on Etsy - and bought it :hysterical:. I thought it was nice because it was long, but not floor-length, and covered-up enough if the weather wasn't too good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a beautiful 1940s crepe dress, it has shoulder pads, a lovely pearl-and-sequin application, a side zip and I think it was made by a seamstress or by someone at home. The condition was as good as perfect, I just need to re-sew some of the pearls (and replace a few), and have it dry-cleaned.

Since the weather outlook (especially the temperatures) wasn't overly good, I added a jacket in the end. It's only an inexpensive 80s synthetic velvet bolero jacket, but I think it went well with the dress.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Funnily enough, my mom wore something 40s-style too. She had made herself a dress and a jacket from two separate Vintage Vogue patterns. It's not visible because of the jacket, but her dress has a similar waist treatment to mine!

[​IMG]

I was glad I had gone for something this glamourous in the end, as my aunt (the bride's mother) had a long dress that could have been an evening dress, too. Weather-wise it wasn't very warm, but at least no rain! And the dress felt great to wear all day long (it was a very loooong day!).

Karin

2. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

aww you and your mom are such dolls! Great fashion choices!

3. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Karin you and your Mum look wonderful I am so pleased you and a few other decided to dress up for the special occasion,
    what a great find your dress was and looks like a style which you will be able to wear again and again.
    Thank you for sharing this with us.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

Fabulous pair! I love both the looks. You're going to win the Miss Etsy of 2010 award, at this rate. ;)

5. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

You're both so sweet! :wub:

I agree -- it is a real shame that people don't take enough pride in themselves (not to mention RESPECT for others!!) to wear something even the slightest bit less casual than jeans & a Tshirt.

It's funny - people come into the shop all the time saying "I wish people would dress up like this more!" - but they, themselves, are wearing sweats!!
    It doesn't take THAT much effort! If you want a better world, take that first step!

6. You both look just wonderful. I agree with Kristine...people just don't care anymore. We catered 7 weddings this summer and you would be shocked at what people wore. Oh...you just mucked out the barn and didn't have time to change (I am NOT kidding!)

7. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Such a lovely picture -- and wonderful ensembles for a wedding. :)

8. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Karin, your dress is smashing! Perfect for a wedding. And your mom looks fantastic, too! Both of you know how to dress!

I, too, deplore seeing what people wear to what used to be "dressy" occasions. Don't they know a wedding or a funeral, or office Christmas parties, baby showers at nice restaurants, etc., are supposed to be special occasions, to which one does not wear jeans and t-shirts?

I had my boys' babysitter model some items for me a few years back. When she asked what she should wear, I told her, "Wear what you would if you were going out to dinner at a nice restaurant," thinking she would have either a nice top and slacks or a cute little skirt, and (hopefully) pantyhose. She shows up at my house with short shorts (no hose, of course), sleeveless top, and platform heels.... Well, the heels looked great with the dresses, but I cannot imaging going out for a nice dinner dressed in that attire.

I can't even believe what some people wear to work these days. When I had to do my one day a week "floor walker" duty at the store I had my booth in, I wore khakis or gabardine slackes or nice capris with a nice, but not overdone, blouse or sweater. Or dressier jeans. While the regular help wore jeans and tops you'd wear to shop in yourself, but not what's appropriate to wait on customers at the store in. Now, at most antique malls I've shopped in, clean jeans and a nice shirt are fine, but this was an "upscale" (supposedly) consignment store. Not a big old warehouse.

9. Love your dress!! You always look great in those reds and rusts. What a find!!

10. Karin, you and your mum look great - I love how well your lipstick goes with your dress.

I agree that it's sad that people don't make an effort any more - as Kristine says, it's funny that people don't see that if they want to dress better, they should - rather than say that people don't do it any more. In my world people do, I just wish that more of us did.

Nicole

11. mingus107

mingus107 Registered Guest

Girl- you look fantastic! You and your mom both have great style! I too cannot stand seeing people dressed like they're going to the mall at nice occasions. When we go to the theater, I am shocked to see people there wearing cargo shorts and t shirts! You wear vintage very well! Gorgeous!

12. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

You look fabulous!!! I love the way the 80s bolero looks with the dress! Your Mom is radiant, too!!

13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks everybody - and you're all so right! I guess I always loved "dressing up" :hysterical:. I guess it's the way I grew up - my mom used to make me "nice" clothes for special occasions when I was small. I loved that even then.

At my cousin's hen's night I wore vintage too - to those girls, the idea of wearing vintage as a pretty new thought (I admit, they live a bit deep in the country - but then I used too as well...), but they loved my whole outfit and my cousin says they kept talking about it for days afterwards. I met all of them again at the wedding - some dressed up to their nines, some not, but they were again so enthusiastic about my outfit. I hope maybe it inspired some of them to "dress up" a bit more :saint:.

I work in an office with not much of a dress code - it can happen that one day I wear jeans and a sweater (though a nice one!) and the next day some smart vintage dress - it pretty much depends on my mood. My wardrobe is my playground, I guess. My colleagues are getting used to it :hysterical:. But there are still a lot of things I'd never wear to work...

Karin

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The both of you look super! You have a wonderful vintage wardrobe, Karin and I'm sure your mom has been an inspiration to you! Also, love that very picturesque view!