1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40s or 50s Strangely places middle back zipr

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LousyLoversVintage, May 21, 2022.

1. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

Just recently came into this purple dress with a house type or building print. A 3 small fabric buttons and a collar type i have never seen.

Ruching and shirring at waist and the zipper is center back but only in the middle of your back it doesn't go all the way up. Its a short zipper I guess

Aline skirt short sleeves feels like a Rayon.

I guess it could be fifties but made to cater to older styles of the 40s?

I have not seen a zipper like this. Crown zipper
    Only familiar with back center below the neck that are short

Thank you just on the fence and want opinions

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  2. LousyLoversVintage

Here is some more on the mannequin I need help with how to wear this collar

Attached Files:

3. Ken at Aero

Ken at Aero Registered Guest

Crown zippers was a brand name of Coats and Clark, (founded in 1896) and incorporated in 1953 as Coats and Clark Inc, after which all zippers produced were marked with the "C&C" logo or the name "Coats & Clarks"

As the entire Crown production during WW2 appears to have been for the military the zipper in your dress most likely dates somewhere between 1945 and 1953

The dress and fabric looks 50s to me, certainly not pre WW2

4. I have a dress with a center-placed zipper that does not go all the way up to the neckline, very unusual.
    I'm still on the fence about whether, in my case, the zip goes in the front or the back!
    Ribbons and flowers loopy dress.

LousyLoversVintage likes this.
  5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Are there bodice darts? And could the dress have been homemade? (asking @LousyLoversVintage—I can see what that dress has you on the fence Donna!)

6. LousyLoversVintage

Yes I think it looks homemade , but there's a possibility the tag has just fallen off as well. It looks well made. There is bodice darting front and back but no bust darting . I feel like the ruching and shirring on skirt looks very late 40s.

Would the collar be folded down or worn up. It doesn't fold over in the back it just gets smaller

7. LousyLoversVintage

Also very sad it doesn't have its belt im trying to figure what kind or style of replacement belt would look best?

8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

My estimate would be late 40s, and I'd fold the collar down. Although I've seen collars worn up as an option in that era, this looks like it would be mighty tall for that.

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Definitely late 1940s to possibly 1950 depending on where it was made. The fabric's design is spot on late 40s and an American textile designer. The ruching and zipper placement also indicate late 40s. The collar goes down as Maggie suggested.

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

11. LousyLoversVintage

Thank you! I always look forward to your comments. I was hoping you'd look at my marc chagall dress! On an different thread.

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thank you! I am still catching up after a longer abscence. I did see the dress - it is stunning, but unfortunately I can't add any comments as I haven't been aware of these prints so far.