1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60s? or 80s? XVII Buttons - Do they refer to Superbowl 1983?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 50sVintage, Feb 8, 2014.

1. 50sVintage

50sVintage Registered Guest

Thank you all so very much for your input!

Actually the buttons read XLII (not XVII) (sorry, my mistake early on.) I thought that XLII might have been a reference to a the 1983 Superbowl (42nd Superbowl) and hence date the set to the 80s. The split consensus though seems to point either to the 90s or 60s/70s.

A review of comments leads me to the conclusion that it will be simplest to rely on the date range of the union tag ('63 - '74) when offering the set. I hope no one thinks that's a cop-out, given that aspects (fabric, button fly, etc.) indicate the possibility of more recent manufacture.

Everyone's help has been deeply appreciated.

Mia

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I was for sure wearing bell bottom hiphuggers in the very early 70s.

No reason that Occam's Razor shouldn't apply here:
    "among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

northstarvintage likes this.
  3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Another memory of hip hugger pants in the early 1970s, and maxi coats. Wore them both! And the coat was hooded. Also, there were a lot of military influenced details at the time (Vietnam War was going on). The buttons are most likely just a fashion statement with no other significance.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Just wanted to add that the button fly was extremely popular for jeans in late 1960s and early 1970s so I do not see that as a sign of them being 1990s.

5. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member