1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70s or 80s? Anita Pineault Hat and term for crown help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Jan 11, 2019.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hello. I don't feel certain with this one....70s or 80s?
    Also, there's a crease on the top of the crown....is there a technical term for that?

Lauren

Attached Files:

2. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Bumping this :)

laurenm likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The style looks more 1970s to me. However the lack of a headsize ribbon inside the crown is a bit odd for the label, as those are usually very nicely finished hats. I am not sure how long the label existed, I do not recall seeing her hats in the 1980s, but it is a Canadian maker (if memory serves me today). By the 1980s you started finding more and more hats without the inside ribbon band as production values fell along with market demand. Sorry if I cannot help to date it more accurately.

As for the crease, it is really just "a crease". An inverted one. I wonder something. Have you tried pushing in the crease so the bash is more like a fedora crease? If it pops to that shape easily, perhaps that might be the original shape. If it resists or looks odd, then it is right as you have it.

4. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks Barbara, I will give that a try!

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A 1988 article about the milliner, whom they called the “grande dame of Canadian milliners,” noted that she ”presided over the industry from her Montreal factory for 26 years.” It added that “Pineault’s factory produces 1,000 hats per week.”

A 1990 article announced the bankruptcy of her business and a 1995 article said she “came out of retirement” for a special event.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

7. Attirelyvintage

Attirelyvintage Registered Guest

I had an Anita Pinneault Hat from the 60s. I have attached a photo of the label used. I think you hat may be from the 80s. I have a bandless hat from M'sieu Leon from the 80s. It's in a light pink-peach color.

Attached Files:

laurenm likes this.
  8. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks Attirely! Love that cute label.

Attirelyvintage likes this.
  9. Attirelyvintage

Attirelyvintage Registered Guest

Happy to share!