1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple questions about cleaning...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DoubleSeahorse, Aug 10, 2004.

1. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

I have two questions regarding cleaning vintage items. :)

First, I have a 1940's dress made entirely of taffeta, except that it has some velvet trim around the neck and sleeves. I know it sounds silly, but I get the impression that one should not put velvet in water - that is, should I soak the dress to get it cleaned?

Also, I have a vintage (possibly 1930's) dress that is made of very soft velvet and a rayon type material. The problem is there are small mildew spots throughout on the rayon. Tips on how to get them out without damaging the fabrics?

I appreciate any help you can give!

~Tiff~

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Never wash vintage velvet. Or get it wet. It will ruin it. In theatre we wash velvet to make it look distressed and worn out.
    If you can remove the trim easily, you could handwash the taffeta in cold water, lay flat to dry and reattach the trim. Otherwise - it's time for a reputable drycleaner.

It sounds like the second dress also needs to see the professional cleaners. They should be able to kill that mildew
    Hollis

3. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Thanks Hollis!

~Tiff~