1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Fashion Budget From 1942....Interesting

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by bartondoll, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Absolutely I agree.

I wonder though, all the little ephemera that is found years later and years after anyone knew the backstory was still around....and that is all one had to go on.

just like all the misconceptions about ancient peoples from just seeing one surviving artwork, etc, and coming up with conclusions on how everybody lived...before the major research was done....

Chris

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Good points Carol.

This was the Career Issue (nurse, teachers, secretaries, and even lawyers)
    have a feeling this was based on the lawyers salaries!

Sue

3. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

Very interesting reading, and I have to agree that it probably wasn't aimed at the average woman.
    My grandmother was married in 1937 and by 1942 had started her own business. She has 3 suits, a few dresses, a coat and some skirts and blouses, and was seen by her sisters as having a particularly large wardrobe. Also, she was living in England, so there really wasn't much to buy even if she could have afforded it. She lived the make do and mend lifestyle long before it became a catchword.
    I would love to have this wardrobe mentioned in the magazine! Sigh.... one can dream right?
    Louise

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Hi Louise!

Did you see we have these now:hysterical::USETHUMBUP::party::love008::USEROCKY::violins::hiya:

Ha ha

Chris