1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Victorian Bonnet & Some Old, Old Shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by pastperfect2, Oct 22, 2004.

1. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I am considering this straw bonnet for myself - so I am trying to nail down the year. I know is later Victorian - 1880s? possibly late 1870's I do run into these bonnets that have a deeper side than the small ones I think of as later 1880s and early 90s.
    The head is small in proportion to the hat, but it's the only one the hat will stay on long enough to photo!

And these shoes - a free gift. Yep - sometmes things are still free.

They are straights, appear machine sewn, the interior sock (?) is quilted. Small stacked heel. They are rough, but still kinda neat. Are they 1850s? 1860s?

TIA

Hollis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Are you keeping that bonnet for your collection or to wear to something Hollis? I can't help on date : (

The shoes, at least on my monitor looks like they are the same color as the bow in the hat. I love looking at old shoes..thanks for sharing these. asfar as being in rough condition on the 1850s/60s shoes...do pairs of that age in perfect condition really exist? i would imagine if so that it would be quite rare. Though i am learning that everything exists the more i cruise around the internet...

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I am thinking about it for my collection. It' s awfully cute. It even came with the original box, or at least a box of the period.

There are indeed some shoes from the early 19th Century that survived in good shape. Not a lot of them, but some. I sold a pair of cream satin side lace boots from the 60s a few years ago that were in great shape.

Hollis

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

It even came with the original box, or at least a box of the period.

that is hard to find! and cute too. And if you keep it you can always decide to not keep it later on someday...but if you sell it then you can't decide to keep it later......I am such a bad bad influence.

I sometimes find something that i really want for myself and i "make a deal" with myself. If i have the discipline and the follow through to sell a decent amount of the things I picked up at the same time in a speedy fashion....it is my reward to keep it :) It works! (sometimes!)

5. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Hi Hollis

VERY lovely items!! :)

In one of my books, there is a fashion plate from the September 1879 issue of Peterson's magazine showing a very similar styled bonnet and then this style of bonnet seems to have been worn into the early 1880's (to about 1883/1884). From 1885 onwards, bonnets tend to have higer front brims.

For the slippers, I'm going to put my neck out on a line here as Jonathan will know more :) but I am almost sure that they are late 1880's/ very early 1890's house slippers. I remember seeing a late Victorian ad on ebay last year that I did contemplate buying as I have seen this style of slipper before (even with the big pompoms too!) and they were sold as house shoes.
    From what I've seen of a few house slippers (and they are hard to come by so you did good!), Victorian and early Edwardian house slippers often have straight lasts. The toes are a bit pointy for 1860's. The general foot shape ansd toe shape of them remind me of my late 1880's strappy boots (remember those burgundy ones I posted here a few months back?).

They are both lovely though and I'd keep 'em both! :)

Lei

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I am afraid my keep pile is greatly influenced by asking - will I ever be able to replace it at the same price? And I don't think I can find these shoes for free again!

Lei - That's why the shoes confused me! The straights and pointed toe seemed early, but the heel and machine construction are later. The quilted interiors did made me think of slippers.

Thank you!

Hollis