1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A way to Date RN Numbers Is this Correct?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by hopesattic, Sep 9, 2008.

1. hopesattic

hopesattic Registered Guest

I found this on the Ebay Vintage Clothing Discussion Board. It is a way to Date RN Numbers. I've tried it out it seems to be correct or at least very close. Try it out and let me know what you think.

To figure the RN#:
    take the RN and subtract 13670; divide that number by 2189 (average rn #'s issued per year); add that number to 1959 (when rn #'s started) and that will give you the a/ issue date.

So, 76256 - 13670 = 62586 divided by 2189 = 28.59 or 29 = 1959 = 1988. So a/ rn date is 1988.

2. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

There's also an RN chart out there somewhere.

... anything to avoid MATH! LOL! :duh:

3. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I have seen this too, but you need to be very careful trying to date anything using an RN number. There are plenty of holes in this. First you have to realize results are based on an average. Second you have to remember that RN numbers are used basically forever within a company.

So something that has a low RN number does not necessarily make it older.

Using this method can possibly give you the earliest average date that that an RN number was issued to the company.

It is imperative to use more practical dating tools to support the date; construction methods, fabrics, label information etc...