1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of open crown lace hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Oct 18, 2017.

1. This was marked "collar" when I purchased it but it's a hat, right, LOL? The lace is likely polyester. 1940s-1960s? The circular opening is approximately 6 inches in diameter. Would the wider bit be worn at the front of the head? Thanks so much for your help :)

lacehat1.JPG

lacehat2.JPG

lacehat3.JPG

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    cmpollack likes this.
  2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Collar for a baby with a head smaller than 6 inches? :hysterical:

3. I know, right?!

4. I have had these as part of a wedding gown. Late 40s and the headpiece. And yes, the wider part to the front.

5. Thanks!
    I was thinking it looked like it could have been part of a bridesmaid's ensemble.

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Would love to see what this sweet confection looks like on (a head, not a neck lol!). If you get a chance, please post a photo or link to a listing for it!

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

yes yes. A bridesmaid hat. Very popular in the late 40s-early 50s especially.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  8. All I have at the moment is a hat stand and the opening of the hat is too big to sit on it, lol. I've actually ordered an inexpensive display head so I will post a photo when it arrives. :)

cmpollack likes this.
  9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Darn. I can't find my old listing photo of one. We had the dress, shrug and hat. The family had a pic of mama wearing it as a bridesmaid. The hat sat way back on the head and 'haloed' the head. All the gals in the bridal party wore them that way. It was like a halo backdrop, if that makes sense.

10. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I can imagine that--must have been pretty!

11. I think it's a gorgeous look... but then again, I'm biased... I love vintage!

cmpollack likes this.
  12. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

The bridesmaid dresses and matching hats were a pastel chartreuse!

cmpollack likes this.
  13. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I believe polyester wasn't made commercially until 1953 (as Dacron, by Dupont). I'm not sure when it was first used for lace, but early adverts don't seem to show lace.

So if it is 1940s-early 50s, the lace must be nylon, I think?

cmpollack likes this.
  14. Could be. It just doesn't feel like a natural fiber.

15. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

If it's nylon, I do believe a stiffener was applied. Mine was stiff not drapey at all.

16. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Nothing to add, except that the net is likely rayon. Almost all millinery netting was made of silk until WWI, then followed by rayon or silk or a blend of the two. The French were still making silk veiling until WWII and then no more (waaah!!). Nylon came in after the war but more as dress tulle and dressmaker's netting, but most millinery veil/net was still being made of rayon even in the late 40s and 50s. And yes, sizing was often (if not always) added to the rayon to give it similar qualities (such as a crispness) as the more expensive and obsolete silk veiling. Nylon net needs no stiffener.

I am not sure if they use polyester for millinery veiling today, I suspect it is still some form of nylon, but whatever they use today it is pure junk compared to the old stuff.

I particularly love the way the maker shirred the net over a hand made wire frame. A very "old fashioned" technique at the time. So romantic! So Victorian/Edwardian.