Alley Cat Dress - Betsey Johnson company or same name different company?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by BexBe, Sep 14, 2023.

1. BexBe

BexBe Registered Guest

Hello all,
    I'm trying to find out some information on this dress, the label states Alley Cat but it is different to all the references I can find online which seem to have an Alley Cat label that references Betsey Johnson. Wondering if this could be the same company but from a later period or is a completely different company? Any thoughts appreciated! Thank you!

IMG_9385.JPG IMG_9380.JPG

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I believe she designed for them.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

She did design for Alley Cat in her early years - according to our Betsey Johnson Label Resource entry, from 1970s to 1974. We have a couple of labels from those years, and the font and graphic are very different. This dress looks rather sedate for early Betsey IMO.

Is there an RN number on any of the tags? That would help sort out whether this is the same company pre-Betsey or a different company altogether.

ETA: A 1971 Alley Cat/Betsey Johnson coat from the collection at FIDM.
    [​IMG]

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree the dress does not have Betsy's style at all and the with the different label I might not think it was Betsy's work.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Somebody has taken the name Alley Cat after Betsy Johnson dropped it - that dress is more like c. 1980, well after Betsy's use of that name.

6. BexBe

BexBe Registered Guest

No nothing on the tag except made in South Africa which I think supports that this was made after Betsey's time or that its another company altogether.

Many thanks for the advice all!