1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Hat question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bluevelvetvintage, Jan 16, 2022.

1. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

It's black wool felt but feels like velveteen on the outside. Having trouble dating. Not sure what era that union label was used. Checked the label resource, but still can't narrow it down. Anyone know? 60s or 70s?

hat0185v4-vintage-black-beaded-velvet-cloche-helmet-hat.jpg hat0185v5-vintage-black-beaded-velvet-cloche-helmet-hat.jpg hat0185v6-union-hat-label.jpg hat0185v7-vintage-black-beaded-velvet-cloche-helmet-hat.jpg

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Oh what a beauty! It is not wool, but fine fur felt which is far superior to wool. That style, as well as that particular trim (are they plastic but look like glass?) was popular with milliners in the mid to late 1960s.

3. bluevelvetvintage

I like this hat. If I had somewhere to wear it I'd keep it! Has a bit of a 20s vibe to it. Barbara, thanks so much for that info. The beads are faceted plastic. Late 60s makes sense. And I was not aware of "Fur felt". Should I use that in the description?

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Theresa,

Yes, it is so stylish. I would definitely use fur felt in the description, as experienced hat buyers and collectors know that is a sign of a better made hat. And a more expensive one also. The exception would be the WWII years when even the finest of American hats were more often made of wool due to import restrictions and shortages.

Both Dior and Schiaparelli hats of the mid to late 1960s had similar "plastic does French jet" trimmings. As well as other high end makers.

You can mention the felt has a velour finish to the outside, which is a plus also.

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Gorgeous one Theresa! It reminds me a wee bit of this hat (also cloche-like) from 1960. I've loved this image forever. 53ae5427455b64c04feb33f59b028b68.jpg

6. bluevelvetvintage

Very chic!

7. bluevelvetvintage

Another question. How do you identify fur felt vs wool felt? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to hat construction and materials.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Theresa,

It is something you learn after handling a bazillion hats! Start by getting to know the the feel of the different felts, and after a while you can tell 90% of the time just by looking at the felt. Fur felt comes in a variety of types and finishes, but you can tell by the feel of it. It is so SO soft and can feel like velvet, silk, or buttery soft suede. It has a suppleness that wool cannot ever have, unless the hat has been chemically stiffened in some way. Wool is generally slightly scratchy or rougher feeling to the hand, and in many hats can be hard or even stiff feeling from the sizing they put in to help it keep its shape. The majority of hats today, even some of the the expensive ones, are made of wool felt. Some times they even blend the wool with second hand "rag" fibers.

9. bluevelvetvintage

Wow! Good to know. Will have to start doing a better job of feeling hats I find!

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

I need to go through my hat inventory and edit my descriptions to make them more accurate...I know I've handled (many) hats that I have described as "feels like velvet" but knew they weren't velvet. Thank you, Barbara for your expertise, and thank you, Theresa for starting this thread. :)

bluevelvetvintage likes this.