1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another one, mid century of some sort?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by maltby, May 5, 2019.

1. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

this is actually two pieces- top and skirt that join w metal hooks

It's unfortunately not in great shape- lots of tiny holes. But is sure is neat!

A IMG_3940.JPG IMG_3941.JPG IMG_3942.JPG IMG_3943.JPG IMG_3944.JPG IMG_3945.JPG

2. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

Don't hold me to it, because it is so hard to date something with just photos. but I think it might be Edwardian. Maybe a Childs Dress?

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I’m seeing Edwardian too.

4. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

here it is on the mannequin, it's def a woman's dress. Too big for her even. Such a weird bodice- the apron like thing on the back is weighted to hang as shown. A million little snaps and sequins on the netting at the bodice neckline.

Also the sleeves are double layered! IMG_4112.JPG IMG_4115.JPG IMG_4118.JPG IMG_4120.JPG IMG_4121.JPG

5. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

Now I may be leaning towards 30s home fashioned and they took old lace to make it.? This is a tough one I also want to say Edwardian, is the printed fabric silk?

6. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

yep, the pink printed fabric is silk

:)

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

My first thought was 'Teens era, WWI era, and now that it is on the mannequin I think it even more so.

wyogems likes this.
  8. I was thinking Teens also, now I see more of a costume? Or maybe pieces were added? The hooks and eyes look too new for this era

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I also wondered if it had been altered at some point, to make it more fancy.

10. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

Yes the lace at the neckline may be there to replace a modesty panel or top that went with the dress?

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks to me like a dress from c. 1900-1902 that was completely recut and restyled in c. 1915-16.

wyogems likes this.