1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ANTHONY MUTO AM/PM dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by avamac, Jan 1, 2008.

1. avamac

avamac Alumni

VFG label resource shows another Muto label, describing his work as 'inexpensive eveningwear.'

Not so, I think, this....

It's 2 pieces in grasshopper green Dupioni? (looks like linen, but it's silk). fully lined in a fine goldenrod silk faille.

Please forgive the quick n dirty pix...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top open-laces down the front ala wenchwear, the outer sleeve puffs over a fitted inner sleeve, there's a 6 inch peplum.

The skirt falls in a poufy gathered double tier to a midi length, 30 inch drop from mid-wide waistband.

MUTO label as shown, with Bonwit Teller AND a hand-crayoned? 'J'. Fashion show mark? Theatrical wear? Any clue/idea?

Given the really spectacular cleavage and midi length, I'm thinking 70s, but this is whistling in the wind....any input GREATLY appreciated.

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

wenchwear. :hysterical: that's a new one for me, i LOVE it! perfectly descriptive!!

sounds 70's-ish. could it possibly be even early 80's as alot of labels were really blockish (rather than script-y) then????

but very NOT familiar w/that label

:BAGUSE:

3. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

I don't know anything about Anthony Muto, but can tell you that one of my favorite thrift stores uses wax pencil like that to mark a price code in all the clothing. That way people can't switch price tags. I would venture to guess that is what your red J is.