1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique button dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pinkcoke, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

That ropey/baguette thing it's sitting on, is a heraldry thing. It probably has a name, everything does in heraldry.

[​IMG]

2. boncly

boncly VFG Member

You guys are KILLING me! I have button envy. I also have a mountain of buttons stashed that I don't have time to play with. I don't think there's anything so wonderful as what you've shown, though. BOO HOO!!!

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Ruth I found out the striped bar is called a crest, on 3D carvings etc it's a plump ring like a shepherd's hat, on other items you also sometimes see them decorating crowns. There's quite a few families with swan crests but I've not found one with the outstretched wings either side yet. I did see some buttons on the buttonmonger website with the same metal rim and fabric shanked back however, so it's looking like this might be the oldest button yet! those were 19thC, I'm wary this looks a bit too new though?