Any vintage sheet aficionados who can tell me why Wamsutta Supercale?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion Q & A' started by Jen S, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Hello!
    I'm a longtime vintage clothing lover and I'm making the transition to vintage sheets. I can't believe I didn't do this long ago, they are so nice.... Anyhow, I've noticed that the vintage Wamsutta Supercale all-cotton sheets sell for a lot more than other American brands of all-cotton percale, such as Cannon or Springmaid or Stevens-Utica. I am just curious if anyone can tell me why that is, and if they are really superior. I know this is kind of off-topic but thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks!

2. joules

joules Trade Member

3. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Thanks! I have a queen-sized bed and have not been able to find fitted sheets, so I started to use a flat sheet and hospital corners. But maybe I'll check out your contemporary supplier, since it is kind of a pain. :)

4. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Trade Member

I'm not sure how old the vintage sheets you like are, but fitted sheets are a fairly recent invention - from the '80s I think? Prior to that all sheets were flat.

5. joules

joules Trade Member

6. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Thank you - I think I found your seller, if the word blissful is in the handle.

joules likes this.
  7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

actually, the fitted sheet was patented in 1959. :)

joules likes this.
  8. joules

joules Trade Member

9. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Thanks, Joules!

Yes, there are vintage fitted percale sheets from the 60s, and on occasion it seems one can find a queen fitted, but they're not very common. Doubles are much easier to find, but even they are much scarcer than flat sheets.

It's also possible to make your own fitted sheet with a flat sheet and some elastic, but I haven't gone that route so far.

joules likes this.
  10. joules

joules Trade Member

11. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

So while I'm at it I have another random vintage linens question.... Why are vintage pillowcases SO MUCH bigger than new ones? Inquiring minds.....

12. Better Dresses Vintage

Better Dresses Vintage Trade Member

Yes, we've had fitted sheets all my life, so at least from the mid-60s, Nicole. Perhaps they weren't as popular abroad as they were in the U.S?