1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to date this 'traditional' tartan Vest/Waistcoat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LaurenMG, Mar 20, 2021.

1. LaurenMG

LaurenMG Registered Guest

Hi Everyone,
    I figure this is quite a tricky one to date and I had thought 60s, maybe? I am so unsavvy with sewing and fabrics and changing techniques and know alot of it is just standard, traditional tailoring etc. But somehow this little number feels older? Is it just a coin toss on something like this for dating? I think the buttons have been replaced because they are not particularly well sewn on and everything else is so finely tailored. Lauren

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What is that lining fabric? On first glance it looks like early 1960s to me.

LaurenMG likes this.
  3. LaurenMG

LaurenMG Registered Guest

Sorry, I'm not very good with fabric ID's but it feels like silk or silk/linen maybe? Maybe silk faille? It has a very very fine little parallel lines in the weave

GemGem likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is darling. I am getting a late 40s - early 1950s vibe from this one.

LaurenMG and GemGem like this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

It is absolutely gorgeous! What are the measurements?

LaurenMG likes this.
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

As it's a women's item (I'm guessing by all the darts), from what I've seen and know, waistcoats like this were very popular in the 50s and late 40s.

GemGem and LaurenMG like this.