Anybody an Oscar de la Renta expert???

Oh, no. It's not one of those modern, invisible sorts (usually with a teardrop pull, yes?), although it is well hidden by the way it's constructed. It looks older to me... late 70s or early 80s. So, I think we have a consensus and once again, I thank you all for your input!

While I'm here I might as well ask... Do you tend to sell things according to a "northern hemisphere" calendar, or do you sell items appropriate for all seasons, all years? Nicole, for example, being "Down Under," is just heading into fall/winter now. Are you listing winter items, or are you having a "spring sale?" People have suggested I take away my winter items as we head into summer, and I've started listing the few swimsuits I've got. But half the planet needs warmer clothing now, not bathing suits. My thought was to focus on items appropriate to my local climate, but not to hide/unlist those items that might be appropriate elsewhere. Sort of like listing cruisewear in our winter. Somebody, somewhere, needs a swimsuit for a cruise, even if it's snowing at home. What do you experienced sellers recommend?

Liza,

I think you've asked a great question and you may want to start a whole new thread about it. Personally, I buy vintage items when I see them, but since I live in a warm climate, I'm not seduced by coats and wooly suits, unless I'm travelling and it's cold out. Most of the time when I see something wonderful that someone has posted I tell myself - no fur, etc. But if it's something like a gown that I might need in the future and I love it, I'll check the measurements.

Personally, I think keeping your stock fresh and seasonal is always a good thing, but I wouldn't remove something like a dressy skirt or gown just because you can't wear it right now, where you are. You may want to thin out your coats - maybe not!

I'm sure others will have opinions about this!

Linn

I agree with Linn that this is a great topic for a new thread.

Most of my stock is sold in my bricks and mortar shop so yes, it's seasonal - my shop isn't as big as I'd like (when is it ever?) so I frequently rotate. My swimwear came out recently and now I'm bringing in autumn/winter.

As to the webshop, I only take stock out when it sells, as there are no stock limits (currently I have over 1000 items there) and so the seasons do not apply. Every vintage lover learns to buy when you find something special, regardless of the time of year, as there is only one. If you wait for the right weather to appear, it's a given that the garment will probably not be available. Sometimes people come in my shop and ask if I still have something they saw years ago - even if it hasn't sold, you can be sure that I took it out long ago as I love to have fresh stock.

right, a sort of teardrop shaped pull. but they've been around since sometime in the 60s, up to present.

i too keep all sorts of seasons available in my shop, and sometimes list things out of u.s. season. last summer or the summer before i listed a cashmere coat and it sold very quickly - to someone in california.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm about to list this skirt and I discovered some additional information. Sept. 1988 is when Neiman-Marcus dropped the hyphen across-the-board/officially and became Neiman Marcus. Since the Neiman-Marcus label has the hyphen, this means the skirt is almost certainly from before 1988. I don't think they would have "used up old stock" on garments if it went against the corporate dictate of no longer using the hyphen.

Liza,

I see you have an Etsy shop. In my Etsy shop I keep everything active that I list for three reasons.
1. A large per cent of my sales are to Australia.
2. When someone views one of your "inactive" listings (through another person's favorites, etc.) Etsy will direct that viewer to similar active items available in other shops, thus directing them away from your shop.
3. Cost to renew is so small.

Liza,

I see you have an Etsy shop. In my Etsy shop I keep everything active that I list for three reasons.
1. A large per cent of my sales are to Australia.
2. When someone views one of your "inactive" listings (through another person's favorites, etc.) Etsy will direct that viewer to similar active items available in other shops, thus directing them away from your shop.
3. Cost to renew is so small.

Hi Alice,

Not sure what you're referring to. I should have no inactive listings, unless they've expired overnight. But what's odd is... can other people see my expired listings? That is... does it show as "inactive" or simply as "no longer available" (that is... it's sold or removed entirely). I thought that the "inactive" status was visible only to the shop owner.

I renew everything as soon as it expires, (unless I remove it entirely for whatever reason), and I check for expired listings every day, unless I forget or life intervenes.

I'm a bit lost here, and all advice is definitely welcomed! That is... have you seen my "expired listings?" because I shouldn't have any ; ).

Thanks,

Liza

Oh no sorry Liza. I misunderstood your original post. When you were talking about "seasonal listings" I thought you were thinking of making some of your current, out-of-season listings inactive. In the past I did this with some of mine. And no I have no secret access to the workings of your shop.:horny:

Back