1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else also have this coat?? (7 and counting)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by denisebrain, Jun 30, 2015.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This is getting to be a mega convergence!

Let me back up and say that I call it a vintage convergence when a vintage item someone has matches up to a vintage ad, photo, pattern, etc. I also consider it a VC when more than one person has the same vintage item.

This coat came to my attention on Instagram, and in 1/2 day I've got 5 examples of it, with 2 others rumored. Any of you also have it? I'm beginning to wonder how many of these were made!
    BeFunky-Collage2.png

The photo of the woman in the middle is taken from the James Brown biopic Get on Up...seeing her in the coat got the ball rolling.

Also, if others delight in this sort of thing, I have a Pinterest board devoted to the VC phenomenon: https://www.pinterest.com/denisebrain/vintage-convergences/ Carla is one of the pinners (thank you Carla!) and I'd be happy to add others if you have some to share!

Jasmin Key, cmpollack and carla rey like this.
  2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I have a longer length version of the coat, but not onsite. It's very pretty on you.

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Totally different, but a convergence for you - I had this Lilli Ann jacket in red:
    1950slilliannjacket.jpg

4. denisebrain

Oh yes! This is a jacket that appears in that convergence board! Gorgeous piece of work, and now I know of green, gold and red versions. Thank you Hollis!

Laura, I didn't know this coat also came in full length. I am astounded at all the connections to this! Found 2 more people who have it but no photo...just today!

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I have several I posted on here previously (1930s Peter Pan swimsuit, Horrockses Harlequin print cotton dress, 1964 coat in front of the Eiffel tower!) and a VC for some painted lucite shoes that was the result of someone posting the catelogue page ad on the forum here - they are missing the insole and from the US so I would never have known otherwise! I will get to arranging the montages asap.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  6. denisebrain

Melanie, if you want to post your VCs on that board, I can send you an invite...just let me know. I'd be happy to have you!

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Yes please.

8. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I sold that coat a couple of years ago, after using it in a window display! It was sooo yummy... Is a "no label" status common to all your convergence examples? (Mine had only a ILGWU tag).

[​IMG]

9. denisebrain

Oh look! May I add your example to the mega-convergence Carrie?

My coat has no label, and I haven't quizzed anyone else about labels, but no one mentions labeling.

Melanie, I'm just about to add you to the board, thank you!!

10. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

I believe I have that same coat. I will check my upstairs storage at the shop tomorrow.

denisebrain likes this.
  11. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

For years, we've called this our "Twice a year" coat... because we pretty much ALWAYS get them, you guessed it, twice every year! Usually in this colorway, too... tho I've also had it in a blue floral, as well.

denisebrain likes this.
  12. denisebrain

This could negate my usual boast that no one will ever show up in the same thing if you are wearing vintage! :duh2:

cmpollack and Elsewhere like this.
  13. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Here's what the blue/green one looks like.
    Found this pic a few years ago - apparently, Patricia Arquette is my doppleganger... AND she's wearing a vintage coat. :)
    I don't know what this is from, though...

patricia.jpg

14. denisebrain

Elsewhere likes this.
  15. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Of course, Maggie!

I love the coat in the blue colorway (and of course what a thrill to see it on Patricia Arquette!)

Also, I just remembered that the American Textile History Museum in Lowell had that coat (in the autumnal colors) in an exhibit on accessories maybe 10 years ago. So it really gets around!

denisebrain likes this.
  16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

17. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Just remembered... had a convergence a couple of years ago... home made 60s evening dress and the pattern to it in a Burda magazine. Could I post this too?

denisebrain likes this.
  18. denisebrain

Karin, I will add you to my Pinterest board! I'm always happy to see more vintage convergences!

19. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest