1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know anything about Karlinda? And what era for this gorgeous coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi all

Another coat question! I picked up this absolutely gorgeous autumnal coat and wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the maker? I’m pretty certain they focused mainly on children’s coats (there is one in the V&A) - but this appears to be for an adult (or at least a teenager!).

I was pretty much convinced it was 60s or early 70s based on the label and style BUT one thing completely threw me - the presence of a small Karlinda branded resealable bag… now I’m wondering if it’s later?!

any thoughts? Would really appreciate your wisdom!

Jane x

Attached Files:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Great coat! It looks mid-'60s to me. The article you posted says that one of the sons, Stanley, joined the tailoring business, so perhaps the Karlinda line lasted for a few years (or more) after his father's death (in 1963.). I just did a search and was surprised to learn that resealable bags were invented in 1950 - so I don't think the bag is a red flag that the coat is later than '60s. The bag may have contained extra buttons.

4. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks so much! I was surprised by how early the little bags were too!

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It seems you found a wonderful cache of information about Karlinda's history, so I have nothing more to add, except this small 1984 ad...

Karlinda1984Ad.jpg